millennium cylinders

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Gordon,

I looked at the site in your post and it appears that the valve rotaters are used only on the Lycoming cylinders. The link specific to O-300 leads to larger engines with no information about O-300's.

I did find a link ( http://www.eci2fly.com/Tech_Ref/titan/Ballizing.htm ) explaining Ball sizing.

Johneb
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Although that partilular site/link it to ECI's system, ....rotators are indeed common on larger Continentals as a genuine TCM item.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Joe wrote:
[W]ere those bad boys pretty expensive?
Joe,

The cylinders were $745 each, outright and complete from Premium Aircraft Parts. At the time (October) they were offering to ship them free via UPS ground. But UPS doesn't drive up to Alaska, so I had them sent Priority USPS which cost about $70.

Johneeb wrote:
t appears that the valve rotaters are used only on the Lycoming cylinders. The link specific to O-300 leads to larger engines with no information about O-300's.

Johneeb,

The ECI site has a lot of information, but it is not always easy to find. At the link below they discuss their approach to reengineering the 0200/0300 cylinder.

http://www.eci2fly.com/Tech_Ref/titan/200-300-C.htm

From that page:

Engine Components, Inc. (ECi) improves the original C-75,85,90,125,145/O-200,300/GO-300 series cylinder design with innovative features and benefits to the TITANâ„¢ Cylinder Assembly product line. Customary conventional characteristics will stand up to time, but based on the success of the TITAN 470/520/550 series cylinders, many of these features were incorporated into the re-engineering of the new C-75,85,90,125,145/ O-200,300/GO-300 series cylinder.

Valve sticking has been a chronic problem for these cylinders in past designs, and ECi now provides solutions for the problems that face our aging aircraft fleet. “We have added a rotator to the exhaust valve to allow free motion and rotation of the valve each time it is opened. Rotation reduces the build-up of carbon and varnish by always presenting fresh mating surfaces to the stem and guide,” explains Gary Garvens, CEO, ECi. “Fresh, clean faces promote heat transfer to the cooling fins and reduce the likelihood of guide wear.”

When I was researching the ECI Titan cylinders I downloaded a pdf file with good technical information about the rotators in their new 0200/0300 cylinders. It should be found at:

http://www.eci2fly.com/Tech_Ref/si/sitoc.htm

Click on Service Instruction 02-8 "0-200 Valve Train Upgrade."

I also have a picture of one of the cylinders installed on my plane, showing the rotator on the exhaust valve. There isn't a lot to see, but you can tell it looks like the rotator in the picture at the link I originally posted. And the valve spring cover is noticeably different from the intake side.

Can you just drag and drop pictures to these posts?

Gordon Sandy
1948 Ragwing
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gordon unfortunately you can't drag a d drop pictures. There is a thread that tells how to do it but it isn't easy.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply. The Roto-coil valve rotator looks like a very worth while improvement. It will be interesting to see how much improved the cylinder life will be, I hope much longer than we normally experience.

Johneb