Aviation Fuel Excise Tax Refund

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

Aviation Fuel Excise Tax Refund

Post by dkalwishky »

I saw a small sign at a local FBO today that said something to this effect:

"Effective some date in 1995 a 15 cent per gallon aviation excise tax is added to fuel at the refinery. For non-commercial operators you must file the proper form with the IRS to get your refund".

Anyone know anything about this? As a private owner if I can get 15 cents per gallon BACK in my pocket at the end of the year, that would equal about $190! I would gladly take that.

Dave
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have a hunch that it would be easier to make that $190 by buying turnips and selling the blood you could extract from them!
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It was my impression that aviation fuel taxes are (part of ) the way we pay for our (GA's) share of ATC services, etc. I can't believe that you can get the tax refunded. Maybe deduct it from your taxes somehow.
If you burn the good stuff (hooray for car gas!), you can get the road tax refunded back to you,at least in Washington. You have to contact the Dept of Licensing,Fuel tax division, and they'll send you the information & necessary forms.What they do is to refund the road tax, but hold back the appropriate aviation tax from your refund. Currently, it works out to only about 3.8 cents a gallon refund, which ain't much. But it's better than nothing. I just sent in a refund application for Q4-2004 for 231 gallons, I should be getting back about 9 bucks. Not bad for only costing me a stamp & a couple xerox copies. It fluctuates, in the past it has been as high as 10-1/2 cents a gallon refund.

Eric