GPS Comparison

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

GPS Comparison

Post by 170C »

With all of our members I bet that there are those out there that could offer a comparison between the Garmin 296 and the Bendix King Skynav III C (T). Cost of the basic unit is obvious; screen size another obvious. But what about the speed of the two processors? I would appreciate hearing as much apples to apples comparison as you are willing to give.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Sorry to be unable to answer your question but I thought I'd let you know I sure like my new color Lowrance 2000. I think you'll find it less expensive and it has a great sized screen. It uses an SD card and comes with the Jepp database and a proprietary mapping program with data. I bought a 1gig card and loaded nearly all the map data for the US on it and it works great. That was for the land mode so it has all the Walmarts etc. because we're on a lengthy RV trip. For aviation database you could put everything you want on the 1 gig card to cover the whole US. Software updates and Jepp updates ($35) can be downloaded from the website.

The only thing I don't like is that it will not do a point to point route in land mode, it just gives you a direct as the crow flies. You can, once driven the route save the track as a route or you can input a bunch of waypoints to create a land route. I really bought it for the plane anyway.

It's worth a look.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Where did you get the Lorance from?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Dewey at Pacific Coast Avionics in OR, an old friend. Ordered at Oshkosh for $1050 or thereabouts. Terrain awareness was/is a software problem so they released it at $850 to me Oct 1st without TA but update to come at $175 or so if I want it. Since I like to keep myself UNDER the clouds I'm not real anxious to update to get the TA. Heck of a deal I think.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180