Which model is the plane for me?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

All other things being equal (not very likely) the ragwing is 20 lbs heavier than all metal wing models due to it's necessary internal bracing.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe the factory "book" weight on all three models is 1,229 pounds. My ragwing weighs in at around 1,310 with full paint job,VFR panel & radios, 180 gear legs with Ponk kit, and single rear jump seat.
I think most if not all 170's are heavier than book weight. A friend had a bare-metal, stripped B model that weighed in at an honest 1,250, after a lot of thoughtful weight reduction.
The weight is gonna be all over the place for different airplanes, I don't believe that any one model will be consistantly lighter or heavier than another.
There's 3 ways to increase performance: better wing,more power, and lighter weight. The weight part is probably the cheapest way to improve things. Mine could stand to have about 25 more pounds trimmed off-- right above the pilot's seat!

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George is right about the weight but to expand on "all things being equal" it is more likely to find a rag wing with minimal equipment thus lighter in weight than the "newer" models. Not to say you can't load a rag wing down with cool gadget stuff like a venturi vacuum system and maybe an extra radio or 3.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I bet the grimes landing light adds a few pounds too. My 48 170 weighs 1320 with full IFR panel. Bill
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug