glider towing with c-170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bigbub

glider towing with c-170

Post by bigbub »

does anybody know of an stc for glider towing package for 170?
does any body have experience towing with c170?
in my previously owned glider school we towed with l-19's, supercubs, all the usual stuff. the l-19 was the best of all the tow planes which is why i was thinking our c-170b with 180hp, 80 inch prop, horton stol, and c-180 gear might be a pretty good tow plane.
thanks
mike,
bigbub1@earthlink.net
pdb

Re: glider towing with c-170

Post by pdb »

bigbub wrote:does anybody know of an stc for glider towing package for 170?
yes

does any body have experience towing with c170?

yes

the l-19 was the best of all the tow planes which is why i was thinking our c-170b with 180hp, 80 inch prop, horton stol, and c-180 gear might be a pretty good tow plane.

bigbub1@earthlink.net
Mike:

Do a search with the term "glider" and you will find several discussions on this subject.

I presently tow with a C-170 B with the 145 hp continental. We are towing from 250msl and its cool here in Anchorage at lat 60 degrees, so density altitude is very low. I tow with 1/2 tanks and have the rear seat removed to reduce weight.

It tows very light gliders like the Russia AC-4s just fine, it tows my SGS 1-23 OK, and it tows a Jantar but not very well. I would never consider towing a 2 place glider.

A 145 hp 1-70 is simply not a great tow plane but it will tow safely if you are careful with your speed, don't rush things, and have a nice long runway.

I suspect that with a long prop on a 180 hp C-170, it will be a better tow plane but I am not sure that it would even come close to an L-19 which I think was 213 hp .

There is a very 337 available for a Schweizer took hook set up which I used. There is an easy to fabricate clamp that goes on the tail wheel spring that is activated by a cable whose lever is mounted on the flap tunnel. Its a very nice set up. If you would like to see a picture of one, email me at pdb@gci.net and I will send a photo along.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg