Following old threads

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Following old threads

Post by Metal Master »

Since I joined the 170 association last week and prior to that had been looking at different threads in the maintenance columns in regards to rebuilding and maintaining my partners and my 170 A. All I can say is WOW! I just finished reading the thread on gear alignment. My wife keeps thinking I am giggling at her as I walk around the house. I had to stop and tell her it had nothing to do with her standing in front of the air purifier and shaking the dog hair off of her robe. I have not had this much enjoyment for a long time. I was about to add my 1 cents worth to the thread when I realized there were several more pages. Most of what I would have said and not said regarding the subject was there. And now I would not add any comment for fear of stepping on someone’s tows and making the thread go on forever besides being a late posting. No insult to anyone intended. But Wow! I just received my package of the quarterly magazine and Cessna 170 Association sticker. Regarding the presidents message in the November Flypaper I am going to purchase the Cessna 170 book & SRAM’s book and wish I could do more to support the association. I have canceled my mailing of the monthly and will receive it by e-mail only. I know that I would be disappointed to not get a quarterly but am in no position to add my thoughts on going only twice a year. :lol:
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
thammer

Re: Following old threads

Post by thammer »

Metal Master wrote:Since I joined the 170 association last week and prior to that had been looking at different threads in the maintenance columns in regards to rebuilding and maintaining my partners and my 170 A. All I can say is WOW! I just finished reading the thread on gear alignment. My wife keeps thinking I am giggling at her as I walk around the house. I had to stop and tell her it had nothing to do with her standing in front of the air purifier and shaking the dog hair off of her robe. I have not had this much enjoyment for a long time. I was about to add my 1 cents worth to the thread when I realized there were several more pages. Most of what I would have said and not said regarding the subject was there. And now I would not add any comment for fear of stepping on someone’s tows and making the thread go on forever besides being a late posting. No insult to anyone intended. But Wow! I just received my package of the quarterly magazine and Cessna 170 Association sticker. Regarding the presidents message in the November Flypaper I am going to purchase the Cessna 170 book & SRAM’s book and wish I could do more to support the association. I have canceled my mailing of the monthly and will receive it by e-mail only. I know that I would be disappointed to not get a quarterly but am in no position to add my thoughts on going only twice a year. :lol:
Welcome aboard Metal Master! I am a 140 flyer but I find alot of good information here. I would offer the opinion that it is perfectly fine to post any time on a thread, there is no end date on a thread, if you've got something to add, toss it in! Your pearl of knowledge or clarification of some point might be the "one" that someone is looking for or needs to aid in their understanding. I'm sure someone who has rebuilt that many airplanes has a lot of knowledge to pass on.

tye
N1478D

Re: Following old threads

Post by N1478D »

Metal Master wrote: Most of what I would have said and not said regarding the subject was there. And now I would not add any comment for fear of stepping on someone’s tows and making the thread go on forever besides being a late posting. No insult to anyone intended. But Wow! . . . :lol:
WELCOME! Glad you are here and have fun! Don't worry about being a TOE MASHER Metal Master, there aren't any sensitive toes left here. There are some SLOW TOES down around Austin, but they are so slow they are used to being stepped on. :lol:

I am currently rebuilding my rudder, haven't been working on it very long! :oops: It sure is enjoyable learning the different metal working methods and having an excuse to go to the tool store. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Welcome aboard! We do seem to be a prolific bunch. There's lot's of good info to be had and good friends to meet! Enjoy!
Doug
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Welcome. Where are you?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Metal Master

Welcome. Where are you?

Post by Metal Master »

:lol: I am in south Seattle, I fly out of Boineg, Crest, Auburn, Arlington and Harvey depending on the plane I am flying.

I winter in Seattle & summer in Seattle, My wife does not like it hot. I would prefer Reno where I fly gliders in the summer out of AirSailing, north of Sparks.

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Well Jim, my old stomping grounds! I learned to fly at Auburn and lived for seven years at South Prairie Airport. Still have lots of friends in the area. We Summer at Stuart Island so come on up sometime. Careful though because Eric has been known to fly in also and the skies can get hazardous :wink:

Gliders in the Summer eh? Do you tow them or what?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Well Jim, my old stomping grounds! I learned to fly at Auburn and lived for seven years at South Prairie Airport. Still have lots of friends in the area. We Summer at Stuart Island so come on up sometime. Careful though because Eric has been known to fly in also and the skies can get hazardous

Gliders in the Summer eh? Do you tow them or what?

I just sold my 17-meter glider and am trying to sell my motor glider. Although I am tempted to donate it to a museum. I wanted to refocus my interests in flying on my power airplane interests. I have had some great flights in gliders and met some great people. But trying to run to many hobbies is wearing me down. :lol:

I just finished riveting the belly skins on the 170 last night at about 7:30. Now I can put the gear back on after I get the ends magna-fluxed. Next little project is to replace the tail wheel bracket.
I have been out to South Prairie for a fly-in a few years ago. What a great little community. I recall seeing a black bull Stearman out there what a beautiful airplane that was. One guy showed up with a bunch of one lunger engines and ran them.

I have a couple friends like Eric. I call Bob Wrong Way. And Don claims to be right on course behind us when he is flying 90 degress to our course. Foutunatly his flying partner knows how to re-direct his flight path when Don looks down at his sectional. And can actually operated the GPS

Jim
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Speaking of Cawley (South Prairie), I have a friend that flew his dad's '55 170 out of there. Name is Dave Babcock. Now he flies an RV-4 that he built out of Thun Field. I picked him up at South Prairie once and gave him a ride back to Kelso to retreive the 170 when it broke down there one time. Sure is a small world when you fly a 170!!

Joe Moilanen
4518C
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Speaking of Cawley (South Prairie), I have a friend that flew his dad's '55 170 out of there. Name is Dave Babcock. Now he flies an RV-4 that he built out of Thun Field. I picked him up at South Prairie once and gave him a ride back to Kelso to retreive the 170 when it broke down there one time. Sure is a small world when you fly a 170!!

Joe Moilanen
4518C
Yes it is a small world, I have met Dave although I do not know him well, I have maintained a number of RVr's airpalnes. I recall meeting Dave through the group I fly around with out of Auburn a few years back.