Yuk, it's snowing again

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Shodan

Post by Shodan »

Joe, my notes are also for fun only. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Bill
Bill's '53 170 B
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

That's GREAT Bill, please don't avoid Grand Prairie.

Chuck's 170 is a beautiful B model he has had for over 40 years. He put a Garmin 430 in it a year or two ago.

Pat's is an A model that he keeps in perfect looking condition. Pat also flys in a B17, T6, etc.

Jim's 170 is an award winner both at Oshkosh and 170 convention.

My 170 is a daily commuter, so it isn't always as clean as the others. But, the fun pouring out of it is right up there with any of them. :lol:

Frank is in the process of moving his 170C over from Triple S. His plane attracts lots of attention at every flyin we fly in to. If 10 people walk up to our planes, 8 of them are at Frank's and 2 of them are at mine. His is a beaut.

Bill and his son just purchased a 170 and they keep it at Grand Prairie. Their plans include a paint job in the near future.

The borrowed rudder I am flying with is off of a 170 being rebuilt by a metal guru who is considered the best in this part of the country.

Rick and Ena have a 195 that looks like a show stopper based here at Grand Prairie.

So, it's a terrific airport and I could go on about more airplanes here but I am sure this is getting boring. But, stop in and we will fly to either Catfish McGeehees up on the Red River for very good catfish. Or we can go south and have a junior burger at Hollies that you can barely hold with two hands, etc. Both places have grass strips that are fun to go into with their own challenges.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Shodan

Post by Shodan »

Joe, this sounds like a busy place. I also juat bought a 170. I've had it maybe a couple of weeks and have managed to kinda figgure it out. Having heard of the problems tail wheels deliver I was a little shy. Now I find just fly the thing like you are supposed to. And no cross winds just yet.
As for a visit, I've not enough time for the trip. Maybe when I retire at 80.
There is only two other 170's here and only one of them gets into the air. There is lots of hanger chat though.
Bill's '53 170 B
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Joe, it sounds like you have some fun places to fly out to! Those sound like places I'd like. Trouble is, there aren't really too many places like that
close to home. You see, it rains a little bit around here once in a while, so grass strips with very much traffic on them tend to get pretty chewed up in the winter. So some of the grass strips are closed this time of year. Or else soft, muddy,overgrown, or otherwise hazardous.
Lots of other places end up paved. Of course, as long as they're paving, they usually add some length. So there you are, another long paved airport that anybody with any kind of airplane can & does fly into.
There are a few not-too-long, grass strips around. I don't need or want a hazardous airstrip, just something with a bit of challenge. So when you go in & out without bending anything or soiling the upholstery 8O you can feel like you did something worth doing.
There's places like this over in Idaho & down in Oregon, but they're far enough away to require some planning and at least a whole day, instead of just a couple hours on the spur of the moment.

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Laquana Park is south about 40 minutes and is a 1900 ft ( I think it's that long ) grass strip that looks alot shorter from the air because it is very wide. It has obstructions at both ends and an upslope when landing to the south. Hollies is about a 4 block walk south, and Lake Whitney is about a 2 block walk east. Bedrock is just a couple or so inches below the turf so the runway is usable 99% of the time. The place is covered in pretty wildflowers during the spring. I've seen people have trouble landing there so it's a fun challenge but very doable in a 170. Although heavy on a hot day can be tense on takeoff.

Several people have told me that they would never fly into McGeehees. Can't remember how long the grass strip is, but it's plenty long. A road that leads to the catfish restuarant crosses the runway about two thirds down landing to the south. A 170 can easily stop before the road. The sides of the runway slope off into the trees and there have been people that have slid off the runway. Also, people have crashed alot on takeoff, probably four people who have just had the all you can eat catfish diner on board. :lol: Downdrafts have been complained about. One of the last times Frank and I flew up there it was raining when we took off and the runway was fine. It's really a pretty place with the Red River right outside the window while you are eating. The runway has a reputation but the place has been featured in Pilot Getaways. I would rate it non-difficult for a 170 as long as you stay in the middle of the runway and don't get over to the sides where it slopes down.

Fortunately, some of the paved airports around also have a grass strip. There are many more grass strips and lots of fun country paved strips.

Eric, Bill, and anybody interested. Either fly in your 170 or come some other way and we will go explore those and other places. It's even fun to fly over downtown Dallas and Fort Worth day or night.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Joe, you didn't mention that Grand Prairie is practically in the parking lot of Six Flags Over Texas, at least that's what it looks like when I'm flying in on American Eagle. I know that must be a great place for you to pick up chicks? BTW I got hung up for 6 hrs in your lovely Dallas thunderstorm Monday afternoon. Enjoyed sleeping on the Seattle Airport Floor again, since we arrived at 11:30pm, after the last Alaskan flight had left..

Hey Eric, think about flying on over this spring to the Petit Jean 170. With Frank & Joe it's not just a few days party in one place. Besides I want to show you my brand new paint job with the Rebel Flag Painted on my Vacuum Pump Pulley. Have you seen George up that way? Been wondering if he was one of the people brought in to hand count those votes!
Last edited by AR Dave on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, can't wait to see that special paint to pretty up your vacuum pump installation even more! :roll:
This governor's elction recount business is getting old-- 'm about ready to declare anarchy just to get it over with! You know the current governor has to stay in office until relieved of duty, I suspect his fellow Demo's are gonna try to drag the recount out for 4 years so they can have another shot at the office! He's done a pretty good job, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing after all.
"Throw all the bums out" is my position. :P

Eric