170 model

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Post by N1478D »

russfarris wrote:Eric, unless you have some modeling skills . . .
:lol: Eric, curiousity is getting the best of me, have you ever been a model? Better yet, have you ever been with a model?:lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
n2582d

Custom made mahogany models

Post by n2582d »

Gary
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Eric, curiousity is getting the best of me, have you ever been a model? Better yet, have you ever been with a model?
You know how it is to know someone for a while without having met them face to face? You know like here on the forums or by phone doing business etc. Then you get to meet them in person. Well for those of you who have not yet met Eric think along the lines of Antonio Banderas or maybe Tom Sellick. Hold that thought. :wink:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Joe, as a matter of fact, I have done some modeling. Perhaps you've seen me, I used to model for the cover of romance novels back in my younger day. I went by the professional name of Fabio. But that was a crew cut and a lot of beers & pizza's ago-- I've since had to change it to Flabbio, and the casting calls don't seem to be coming in anymore......... :cry: :cry:

Eric
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just looked thru my old Flypapers & couldn't find it, but I seem to recall that someone ( a long-time Assn member, I think?) was advertising wooden 170 models for sale. Don't recall the price or name.

Flabbio
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

zero.one.victor wrote:Joe, as a matter of fact, I have done some modeling. Perhaps you've seen me, I used to model for the cover of romance novels back in my younger day. I went by the professional name of Fabio. But that was a crew cut and a lot of beers & pizza's ago-- I've since had to change it to Flabbio, and the casting calls don't seem to be coming in anymore......... :cry: :cry:

Eric
Eric, we have probably run in to each other then and just didn't make the connection to the forum! I still do Breal Cream promos - gives my head a real shiny look. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Many years ago (in 1955) I owned a little Stinson 10A (my first airplane).
There were no kits. I scratch built a 1/48 scale model of it from balsa wood, painted it just like my plane. It was really nice, if I say so myself.
Had it for a long time but it got torn up somewhere along the way...

If I still had my model-building room and more time I'd like to build a 170.

You can have most any airplane custom built in mahogany by someone- I think they have a shop in the Philipines. I see their ads- Sporty's ? the're very pricey- about $150 I believe.
Rudy
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Another thought- if the L-19 plastic kit and the C-180 are the same scale
(probably 1/48 or 1/72) buy both kits and remove the tail feathers of both. Then attach the L-19 tail feathers to the 180 model. A little green putty and some sanding could make the attachment seamless. Then paint and you have a pretty close to accurate 170B. For real accuracy fanatics, change the cowling and exhaust .
Rudy
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Good idea Rudy (and it would probably work for most folks)
but I think that Monogram C-180 is a weird scale. It's not
1/48. It's something like 1/40 or some darned thing (some
odd-ball scale).

It'd be close enough for government work though....
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180