How To Remove Vertical Stab?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

How To Remove Vertical Stab?

Post by reecewallace »

Well, my rear spar brackets are broken, see thread here: viewtopic.php?t=16763

I'm having to remove my entire vertical stabilizer and rudder to replace them.

Figured at the same time, it makes sense to repaint the tail as it's in rougher shape than the rest of the plane, as well as replace all hardware in the area.

How do I remove the vertical stab & rudder? Is it straight forward?

I'm trying to do this by myself, then strip and repaint the tail without having my mechanic do it to save costs ahead of him reinstalling it all.
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
voorheesh

Re: How To Remove Vertical Stab?

Post by voorheesh »

Others may have specific advice on how to remove the vertical stabilizer. My advice is to consult with your mechanic who you trust to reinstall it. Hopefully, he will agree with your plan and support your effort while saving you money.

My advice is based on past experience where technicians I know have become involved in conflicts over who did what or who is responsible for costly and unanticipated problem. An IA I work with will not perform a job like this unless he has been involved from the start and has familiarity with all aspects. For example, removal of a critical component can result in damage or other serious problems that only become apparent later.

I don’t mean to denigrate the expertise on this forum and hope you get good advice. It may be a really simple job. If your mechanic has the experience to install a vertical stabilizer, surely he could advise you on how to remove it.

Good luck and hope you get your airplane back on the air soon.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Harlow’s advise is good. I might add that if you strip and repaint the rudder it needs to be rebalanced.
Gary
DWood

Post by DWood »

Gary
Do you think it would be good to check and document the rudder balance before stripping the paint?
I know people have been surprised how far the balance is off AFTER the job is done.
This way there will have a baseline on the balance when it was flying.
Dan
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Well, my rear spar brackets are broken
You mean more than just the right side? Taking the rudder off is easy, don’t lose the hardware or the bottom rudder attach bushing. Before you remove the stab get a straight rod and sight the hinge points to see whether they are aligned, (if you are in town you can borrow one from me) . Four bolts at the aft spar, remove the fairings below the vertical fin to get at the two bolts holding the front to the bulkhead and possibly two screws forward on the fin. Note the shims at the VS front attachment to the bulkhead. Likely the more you dig the more you’re going to find but sounds like your hands are tied.
I do like Dans suggestion to note the rudder balance prior to stripping. I was once chastised for wanting that info on a DC-8 rudder. In my thinking, the data plate had that info, but being 30 years, the plate might be a guess.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

DWood wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 pm Gary
Do you think it would be good to check and document the rudder balance before stripping the paint?
I know people have been surprised how far the balance is off AFTER the job is done.
Dan
Absolutely. My recommendation would be to balance and document it three times. First, to get the baseline like you said. Second, once it’s stripped like Cessnut suggests here, and third, the final required check after paint. Once you’re set up to balance a surface it doesn’t take much time to actually check the balance. You don’t need all the fixtures Cessna shows in the Service Manual or Service Letter to do it. Now, actually adding the weight to the rudder … that’s another story!
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

n2582d wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:43 pm
DWood wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 pm Gary
Dan
Absolutely. My recommendation would be to balance and document it three times. First, to get the baseline like you said. Second, once it’s stripped like Cessnut suggests here, and third, the final required check after paint. Once you’re set up to balance a surface it doesn’t take much time to actually check the balance. You don’t need all the fixtures Cessna shows in the Service Manual or Service Letter to do it. Now, actually adding the weight to the rudder … that’s another story!
I could not agree more. I know a guy ...