3200 Scotts Tail holds the break to the left but not the right. Help.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

acecabral

3200 Scotts Tail holds the break to the left but not the right. Help.

Post by acecabral »

Hello all,

I’m trying to solve and troubleshoot this problem with my tail wheel. I can get it to steer left and break Left into free casting mode. But, I can’t get it to steer to the right without the use of break and power. I have a video of the problem, I’d like to show you, but the file is too big. The break to the right is weak and almost nonexistent. I have replaced the Head of the tail wheel, and I have rebuilt the lower fork with a rebuild kit from Air frames Alaska, but the problem is still exist. Any ideas and education would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If you like to see the video, my email acecabral@me.com and Ill send it you.
DaveF

Re: 3200 Scotts Tail holds the break to the left but not the right. Help.

Post by DaveF »

I watched the video and spoke by email to acecabral. The tailwheel locks and releases to one side, but free swivels to the other.

I suggested looking at how the wing-shaped spring (18) fits into the notches in the control arm (8).

Any other suggestions or insight?
IMG_2080.jpeg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

DaveF wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:40 pm I watched the video and spoke by email to acecabral. The tailwheel locks and releases to one side, but free swivels to the other.

I suggested looking at how the wing-shaped spring (18) fits into the notches in the control arm (8).

Any other suggestions or insight?

IMG_2080.jpeg
If this is the case then it is very likely spring #18 has a broken paw on that side which should be obvious when the tailwheel is disassembled. This requires replacement of that spring. New rivets #21 would also be needed.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce is referring to the “Pawl”…and that is what creates the “detent” on these tailwheels.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

emphasis on parts 18 and 8. The Pawl is spring steel but it wears out the control arm inside since the material is softer. Generally to much grease causes this failure modality.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug