Scott 3200 attachnment bolt

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Scott 3200 attachnment bolt

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

GAHorn wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:41 am The kingpin itself is part of the main bracket assy and not a separate item.
It is not impossible to find a king pin that will slide out of the bracket. I had one in my early 3200 experience and flew it thinking nothing of it until I realized it was not suppose to be a loose fit. At that point the fit was getting to the point the king pin was slightly cocked in the bracket which caused uneven wear on other parts and the wheel would not swivel properly unless the king pin nut was so loose the wheel would shimmy about every landing.

As stated the king pin is a part of the bracket assy. and not removable, serviceable or replaceable as I found out on another 3200 I had. On departure the threads snapped off of the king pin leaving the yoke and tire assy, on the end of the runway. I had no idea until I made an uneventful landing at a museum fly-in on another grass strip, a rarity around here BTW, and noticed a slightly nose high 3 point attitude as I taxied into parking with a small crowd who took a liking to my tail skid. The crowd was completely surprised after I saw I had no tail wheel, when I pulled out my complete spare 3200 I carried in the baggage and had it installed in no time.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

In case you need a third person to confirm that the king pin is supposed to be a non-removeable press fit in the top bracket, I'll be that guy.

I would not put it back together without fixing that issue. :wink:
Ragwing S/N 18073
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

sfarringer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 pm In case you need a third person to confirm that the king pin is supposed to be a non-removeable press fit in the top bracket, I'll be that guy.

I would not put it back together without fixing that issue. :wink:
Does JB Weld have a shelf-life…?? :lol:

(THIS IS A JOKE!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Lee

Post by Lee »

I ordered a spacer/bushing from Airframes Alaska and it was exactly what I needed. Lewis was very helpful. Good service from the company in all respects. Their price was less than Univair. The bushing fit the L-19 eye bolt (which I am sure is an AN-7) perfectly ... proper part number stamped on the bushing and the bag it came in. If I need any more 3200 parts, I'll call Airframes Alaska first. The main leaf spring from Univair was slightly undersized for AN-7 but was easy to enlarge slightly to fit ... no complaints. I'll bead blast the tailwheel fork, hubs and the tail
wheel assembly housings, paint and reassemble. The "gouge" on the forums has been invaluable.