ISO Gear Fillet Plates

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

ISO Gear Fillet Plates

Post by Ryan Smith »

Hi all,

I’m chasing a much smaller needle in a much larger haystack than I feel should be. I’m searching for a pair of gear fillet plates (0511124, figure 26 item 1). Quite a few suppliers have them for L-19s and Univair even makes them new for the L-19s but have refused my request to make some for the 170, or even send me some blank stamps.

The L-19 part has the same external layout, but the slot for the gear is quite a bit wider. Most places are charging $25 for the new stock L-19 plates, but I received a quote from a well-known supplier in Washington State for ten times that much ($250/each). I will pay my shop their shop rate to fabricate me some before I get fleeced by a supplier.

I prefer new stock plates, but gently used ones would work. If anyone has any leads, I’d greatly appreciate it. AFAIK, Univair has some sort of working relationship with the Association, and if there is more demand than just me, perhaps the Board could reach out on behalf of the membership to have some custom units manufactured?

Thank you.

Ryan
Attachments
IMG_4910.jpeg
mit

Re: ISO Gear Fillet Plates

Post by mit »

Just make-em
Tim
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

You probably aren't going to get much traction in this direction, because most of us wouldn't even take the time to search for them. This is one of the simplest parts to fabricate. Don't buy used ones unless they are cheap and you need a template. The screw holes may not line up well.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Discussion regarding the “Board” approaching a mfr’r to produce a “minimum order size” of parts so one or two Members can have what they want…. is a subject which has ben approached many times over the years…and seems simple…but it’s not.

It would be asking the “Board” to authorize spending Assoc’n money for the benefit of a couple Members… and subsequently having to “warehouse” the excess parts …and to preserve them in whatever condition the particular part requires….and to provide documentation to any future (hopefully) desiree of that part should his A&P/IA require documentation. And, would you want the Assoc’n to spend it’s limited funds (which you support with dues) on acquiring parts someone else may desire but you will likely never need?
And which parts should receive such funding..? the parts one persons happens to desire today..? …or the ones the entire Membership should frequently need..? (which, btw, are usually the FAA/PMA parts readily available anyway.)

Here’s an example: The Assoc’n has 5 right-hand rear door-post covers which were once made decades ago and have been stored since. They have been sitting neatly in the corner of my hangar now for 22 years, having sat in my predecessors hangar for at least 14 years previously and his predecessor before that. Even with a volunteer’s willingness to store the parts for free, does not strike many as having been a good expenditure of limited resources. (And many such parts have resulted in “disappearance” and inventory alone is a complicated task.)

Even highly-desireable parts have proven difficult to gain sufficient commitments to arrange manufacture. The most recent example is wheel pants and mounting plates. Cessna wants an order of at least 35 sets before they’ll offer a price and our solicitation-announcment (which included the 120/140 Assoc’n) only resulted in 3 responses.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Ryan,
I made mine out of plastic book binders. [ring pull type. ] Why I used -plastic ? it’s slightly flexible and doesn’t mark the gear legs or the fuselarge. Washed the plastic down in spray gun cleaner and used a rattle can for painting .The plastic was sanded down for the sharp edges and every edge was rounded out. . Works well . Total $4
Daughter used the steel archer file bit for her uni notes and made a donation of 2 dollars to me . So it was only $2 for my covers.