a deadweight and too much drag

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

a deadweight and too much drag

Post by ghostflyer »

Recently I had to ground run my aircraft after a 100 hrly . as a precaution I tied the tail wheel down to a steel drainage grate on the taxi way outside my hangar . Some one had borrowed my chocks and had not returned them [normal]. Throttled up to max power to check for oil pressure ,temperature etc.
Park brake was set and holding . My phone fell off the combing panel and I attempted to retrieve it. Knee hit the park brake handle and it snapped to off . I had inadvertently pushed the control column forward. Tail snapped up and then the aircraft was off . Steel grate ripped out and I was off . Due to shock value ,the aircraft had travelled about 4 lengths of the aircraft before I could hit the brakes .
Now the problem.. There about 8 or more aircraft spotters with cameras watching . Some of the smart comments I got was , “ That was a bit of a drag… Aircraft can’t fly with that ,it’s out of balance … Please do it again I didn’t quite catch it. .. You left a big hole in the tarmac. Plus the clapping and cheering . ARRrr the joys of aircraft ownership.
DaveF

Re: a deadweight and too much drag

Post by DaveF »

I blame the phone.
redacted

Re: a deadweight and too much drag

Post by redacted »

I'm gonna need to see the pics and video. :lol:
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
mit