EP-420W EPIBOND applying airbrush

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

EP-420W EPIBOND applying airbrush

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Doing some repair work on my Vagabond. Yes I know it's not a 170. I need to repaint the bottom of my landing gear axle tubes in situ. Wondering if anyone has used EP-420W EPIBOND sprayed through an airbrush? I know it can be sprayed through a "touch up" gun but even that is a bit big for the amount of paint I need to spray.

Thanks
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
darhymes

Re: EP-420W EPIBOND applying airbrush

Post by darhymes »

Have you ever tried using a Preval Sprayer? I find it much more reliable than an airbrush for spraying paint that shouldn’t be thinned excessively.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yes Dustin I have used the Preval sprayer many times and have a small stock of them. I like them as well but they do have limitations. One, you can't regulate the amount sprayed or the pattern any better than a spray bomb, which it is. Second with the bottle on the bottom, they are quite tall and for this job I need to get low under the axle requiring that Preval to be tilted pretty far. I was thinking an airbrush could be a better tool but wonder if the airbrush may be too small to spray this epoxy without over thinning it.

gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Bruce, I’ve used a Paasche H airbrush for touch up work using Poly-Brush, Poly-Spray and Poly-Tone with good results. No special thinning. I prefer it for small repairs. I haven’t tried it with Randolph EP-420W Epibond primer, but if my memory is correct (it’s been a little while) I used the Paasche airbrush with Poly-Fiber EP-420 epoxy primer and Aero-thane on new J3 wing struts. I initially sprayed them with a touch up gun, but because of the aerodynamic shape, the spray was light on the edges. (The spray would tend to go around the strut when spraying the edges head on.) So i used the airbrush with its smaller pattern to touch up the edges. Again, if my memory is correct, I didn’t thin it any more than recommenced for a touch up gun. All I can say is mix a small batch and try it on a test piece.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Gene, just the info I was looking for.