Rudder trim tab

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

redacted

Rudder trim tab

Post by redacted »

My rudder trim tab is dead straight, never been touched since the plane was rebuilt. I need a heavy right foot to keep the ball centered and I've just put off making the adjustment. My question is - is it a servo tab or antiservo tab? Which way do I move it for more right rudder?
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
Bill_Green

Re: Rudder trim tab

Post by Bill_Green »

Just a thought on the rudder trim question. I have seen instances where the tailwheel itself was not rigged to be perfectly aligned with the rudder when in flight. The tailwheel then becomes in effect, a trim tab of sorts. Easily checked with the tailwheel off the ground and the rudder centered. Rudder pedal return springs have been known to break also resulting in assemetric rudder pressure. May be a few other things worth checking before bending the tab.
Bill
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

I agree, check all the rigging, but to answer your question, bend it left to force the rudder right.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Before bending the rudder tab be certain your airplane is rigged properly. The rigging instructions are in the MX Library.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8196
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
redacted

Post by redacted »

Copy all, thanks. I’ll wait until we swap the flap brackets on the left wing before I mess with it.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434