Gear Curiosity?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Gear Curiosity?

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’m a bit of a creep and stalk 170s at places I go.

I have frequented Moontown (3M5) on the northeast side of Huntsville, AL both while transiting to Shreveport to see family, and also with Charlie Beyer while in town for work in a previous life. A 170 with an interesting story, N3101A, was hangared there, and as long as I’d ever been going there, I’d not seen it fly, nor heard of it flying. I understand the (then) owner flew the airplane to Patagonia at least once and the airplane had some interesting modifications done to it to allow for that journey.

I needed to head to the airport to remind myself that one day my expensive toy might be out of annual and back home, and I see 01A sitting on a tie down at Air Harbor, essentially my ancestral home airport that three generations of my family and extended family have been flying from for 80+ years. I was shocked to see it given that it had apparently not flown in a long time and went to look at it. I didn’t pay much attention to the gear when it was parked in the hangar, but it punched me in the face when I saw it on the tie down; probably because my very curious almost four year-old daughter was pointing and asking questions.

I assume this is the Geisse crosswind gear, but I see the airplane has Cleveland wheels and brakes. It looks to have been converted for quite some time, but I was always under the impression that one had to retain the Goodyear drum brakes to have the crosswind gear.

Is this a third-party setup? Home brew/337? I’m curious now.

Also, if the new owner is a member here, please text me. My number is in the directory. I’m happy we’re up to three 170s on the field now and would love a chance to ride along or fly your airplane with this gear. I flew four different Cessna 170s last week. Hoping to break that record soon. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3820.jpeg
n2582d

Re: Gear Curiosity?

Post by n2582d »

Axle mounted to gear leg with AN310 castle nuts. Living dangerously! 8O
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Geisse crosswind gear? Never heard of such a thing. Goodyear crosswind gear however is a different story. If you are running Goodyear crosswind gear, you must also be running Goodyear brakes which are not the same model of Goodyear brakes one would run without crosswind gear.

I have a perfectly airworthy set of Goodyear crosswind gear I remove from my 170 when I sold it 3 years ago and spares it you'd want them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I guess he wasn’t a manufacturer. I’ve always heard the name Geisse Associated with the crosswind gear.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2551665A/en
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Geisse or Geiss Safety Gear was evaluated by the Special Air Warfare Center on the L-19. They purposely groundlooped these planes without sustaining any damage. They "recommended that the Geiss anti-groundloop landing gear be installed on all Cessna O-1 aircraft."
Geiss gear on L-19
Geiss gear on L-19
This gear is STC'ed for the 140/170/180 under SA1-252. The FAA says its status is "current". Good luck getting a copy of that STC from Geisse! Curiously, the STC also lists the 172 and 175 as eligible aircraft. The 61-73 C-180/185 IPC shows this to be a standard option which uses Cleveland wheels and brakes.
Geiss Gear.png
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

with reference to the gear with the AN310 nuts , they have split pins fitted in the photo . However I have never seen an approved method of attachment like this . Hopefully the correct bolts were used .
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Yeah, I automatically conflated castle nuts with shear load applications. This is not correct. An AN310 nut has the same tensile strength as an AN365 nut. It’s the AN320 castellated shear nut that has half the strength of an equivalent AN310. That being said, recall this conversation when selecting a nut here. NAS hardware, as depicted in the above L-19 photo, is the way to go. A good short review of nuts is found here.
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

So the owner ended up reaching out to me. He’s a low time private pilot, and the nephew of the gentleman that’s owned the airplane since 1961 or 1962. He couldn’t recall the name of the axles, but did say that they only cant outward, so you can land crabbed on one gear only.

I might see if I can talk him into straight axles. I’m going to fly it with him some as he wants to finish his instrument and do his commercial.