School me on Venturi horns

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: School me on Venturi horns

Post by c170b53 »

I’ve got two at home I can measure off my plane. Likely original, ( one has a old data plate on it) , I’ll measure , if it fits its yours.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

mmcmillan2 wrote:Well shoot, I got my hands on a venturi, but it’s 1.5” square mounting holes don’t match my existing 1.5”x2.0” holes (currently filled with rivets).
Him, interesting the one you got your hands on is different. They, the original, and even the new "super" versions, are made to an AN standard (different between standard and "super") but my experience has been and I believed, all the mounting holes the same. You shouldn't have any trouble coming ups with tubes that fit. I think half of us have a collection of them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
4583C

Post by 4583C »

I went to check the two that came off 83C and was surprised to find one is 1.5”x1.5” and the other 1.5” x 2”.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4583C wrote:I went to check the two that came off 83C and was surprised to find one is 1.5”x1.5” and the other 1.5” x 2”.
Well…we all knew YOU were weird. :lol:

When I replaced my OEM (original) with “Super” venturiis…. they were a perfect-fit replacement.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I originally had 2 6in venturies and one 4 in venturi . The 2 6in ones were plumbed in parallel and provided heaps of vacumn. The 4 in was for the HSI which required 2 sources of vacumn . BUT , the 4 in also provided a high pitch whistle that could be heard from the ground especially on landing . Many a person asked if I had an exhaust gasket issue .
Plus it had a tendency of moving wild life off the runway as you were landing . Yes it was noticeable from the cockpit when in flight but never worried me ..
It could be heard under power on the ground but anything over 40 kts it really screamed . Some “larks” on the airport called my aircraft ‘the american stuka’ .
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

4583C wrote:I went to check the two that came off 83C and was surprised to find one is 1.5”x1.5” and the other 1.5” x 2”.
Yea, I’m surprised mine is different. A local mechanic is going to look through his pile of spares and see if he can help. He may also have another pulley but I’m not sure I want to stick with that design. I’m lucky that pulley half ejected downs instead of up into the windshield.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi