Northwest Airlines Slams GA

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

Guys, the way I took Anderson's statements were that he wasn't against the Cessna's and Piper's, but against the Lears and GIV's flown by fractional companys like Flexjet, NetJet, etc. They basically run an on-demand charter, except you own part of the aircraft. The company gets away from paying landing fees, and other taxes under the guise of General Aviation.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Oh. Like THAT makes a difference! :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

Yeah, it makes a big difference. These fractional companies are competing with airlines, which is fine, as long as they don't get a free ride on paying all the taxes that the airlines have to. By not paying these fees, it forces the airlines to pay more, and they are forced to pass along the costs to, guess who, you...the consumer. Unless you make transcontinental flights in your C170.

Yeah, I work for an airline...I'm also a GA owner/operator. IF you can afford to buy into a fractional, more power to you...they're expensive. I just expect them to pull their load.
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not to be controversial but if you can say it's OK for fractionals to be picked on by NWA (which by the way NWA did NOT single them out one little bit) then it's OK to outlaw personal pickup trucks on highways because they compete with 18 wheelers.
If you have a problem with fractionals then change the FARs that allow them to operate. If it's unfair competition then NWA should petition the FAA against fractionals....not try to throw out General Aviation entirely by misrepresenting the issue! My 2 cents.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
FredM

Northwest CEO

Post by FredM »

I am sure everyone will be very disappointed to learn as of last friday Richard Anderson is no longer the CEO at Northwest. He was replaced by Douglas Steenland. Richard has resigned from Northwest and is now working as executive vice president for UnitedHealth Group a medical insurance company.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D