170 operational cautions/info under a special header

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

170 operational cautions/info under a special header

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

After responding to AR Dave in a thread under mufflers regarding CO detection informatin in which AR Dave suggested there should be a special spot for such info, I thought I'd start a thread with an appropriate subject so others could chime in.

I'm thinking this isn't a bad idea but not limit it to just the CO issue. I’m thinking there should be a header opened to the public next to "The Hanger" and "The Pilot Lounge" that would be labeled "Cessna 170 Operational Cautions" with a blurb stating that this is where one would post operation hazards particular to the 170 and solutions. I'm thinking things like "CO detection device information" or "Disconnect your parking brake BEFORE it causes a ground loop" and the "The main tail spring breaks so change it". All subjects that could cause unforseen danger/damage a lot of us older 170 drivers may have heard about but new guys wouldn't know.

We wouldn't necessarily want discussion on the merits of AVGAS verses MOGAS or MMO verses Snake oil even though there are a lot of people that feel their side of these issues is life or death.

The intent would be to make a place that a newbie could easily see all the subjects particular to the 170 that might get them.
What say you. Will this work?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

That's a GREAT idea Bruce!

What do we need to do next?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I agree. either a separate category or some stickies in the MX Library.
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The MX library will not be or is not now (I'm not sure) open to the public, just association members. We'd would want everyone interested in the 170 to be able to see and add anything that needs to be there.

As for how we do it. We get more people on board with the idea, specially George. As the moderator he'll need to understand the idea behing the special place and what should be there. So it will have to be given some thought.

Once on board I'd think George would get the webmaster to implement it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

[quote="N9149A"]The MX library will not be or is not now (I'm not sure) open to the public, just association members. We'd would want everyone interested in the 170 to be able to see and add anything that needs to be there.
quote]

Good point, I forgot about that. This is sort of the same thing I was hoping to accomplish with the AD list, Part Sources, and Mechanics listings in the MX forum. Now they are just buried in amonsted everything else...
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Now you've hit it right on the nail, this makes good sense!
- in you're off-the-cuff Operating Cautions examples, you've reminded me again to unhook that emergency brake I keep forgetting about. I would use a "cautions list" as a safety checklist and refer to it often.
EXCELLENT!!!! And thanks!

AR Dave
http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix/art/co/
Last edited by AR Dave on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Ya'll trying to scare me some more. I have not flown since I found out that the hollow axles Cessna installed on my plane might break! :evil:
Randal
51 Cessna 170A N1263D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

R COLLINS wrote:Ya'll trying to scare me some more. I have not flown since I found out that the hollow axles Cessna installed on my plane might break! :evil:
Randal
You don't have "hollow" axles in East Texas, Randall. You've got "hollar" axles! :lol:

This subject - thread is easier than we might think. Look under The Hangar under "Recommended Modifications for 170 Owners"
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)