Northwest Passage

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N73087

Northwest Passage

Post by N73087 »

We are planning a trip over new territory. Can anyone recomment a route through the mountains from Seattle eastbound to the flat end of Montana? Any "must see" points of interest?
Dave
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

The route I use the most is Mullan Pass to MSO and then on to GTF. That will put you in central Montana and can be flown at 7500 ft. Once you get over Rodgers Pass west of GTF, its downhill all the way. A longer more scenic route is Lake Pend Oreille to Bonners Ferry, Libby, Eureka to FCA and then fallow the hiway around the south end of Glacer Park and over Maris Pass to CTB and can be flown at 5500 ft. Great Scenery. From FCA, you can fly over the Flathead Valley toward MSO with the Mission Range on your left and look up at the Glaciers.
Larry
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave,where in the Seattle area are you based? I'm in Port Townsend.

Eric
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Dave,
I forgot to address your "must see," and that would be the Lewis and Clark Interperative Center in GTF. It is interactive and very educational. I've taken my grandaughters and it is hard to get them away.
Larry
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Eric
I am in Florida. This will be a dream trip. Our destination is St. Louis, and we are going by way of LA and have grandkids in Seattle.
Dave
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

Dave, You might consider landing at West Yellowstone, especially if you have not been to the park. You can camp on the field, if you are into that kind of thing, and rent a car to tour the park. Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower are not that far away if you are continuing your flight east.
Everyone seems to know about Beck's U-Pump in Helena, a great gas stop where you can also remain overnight.
If you are into a little mountain flying, you could stop in at Shafer Meadows, a nice big grass strip in the hills 30 miles east of Kalispell. I have been in there in a 170, no problem.

Max
zero.one.victor

Larry Holtz wrote:The route I use the most is Mullan Pass to MSO and then on to GTF. That will put you in central Montana and can be flown at 7500 ft. Once you get over Rodgers Pass west of GTF, its downhill all the way. A longer more scenic route is Lake Pend Oreille to Bonners Ferry, Libby, Eureka to FCA and then fallow the hiway around the south end of Glacer Park and over Maris Pass to CTB and can be flown at 5500 ft. Great Scenery. From FCA, you can fly over the Flathead Valley toward MSO with the Mission Range on your left and look up at the Glaciers.
Larry
Larry,how about reposting this iwth names instead of identifiers? I want to check out your routing but I'm too lazy to research the identifiers.I don't have sectionals,just road maps....thanks....

Eric
n3410c

Identifiers

Post by n3410c »

Here you go.....
MSO = Missoula
FCA = Kalispell
GTF = Great Falls
zero.one.victor

Re: Identifiers

n3410c wrote:Here you go.....
MSO = Missoula
FCA = Kalispell
GTF = Great Falls
Thanks. CTB must be Cutbank?

Eric
zero.one.victor

A pilot friend of mine works summers in Glacier Nat'l Park. I asked him if he'd ever been into Shafer Meadows. He told me it was 3200' long at 4855' elevation. Didn't sound too terrible bad,but he said he didn't have enough airplane for it--he's owned 2 65 Luscombes & a C150-150. He told me a 170 crashed there last year aborting a takeoff,they helo'd out the wreckage. He didn't know the pilot's name. Anybody know who it was?
He told me a kinder,gentler place was Spotted Bear,about 15 miles SW. 3800' long at 3670' elevation. It's near a back-country fishing lodge,evidently they will come pick you up ( and feed you?) if you buzz the cookhouse before landing.

Eric
N1277D

West Yellowstone

Post by N1277D »

The snow is melting fast in Idaho, but West Yellowstone is usually the last place to open up in the spring. They generally have it open by memorial day weekend. Before that the airport is pretty much closed up and it is a couple mile hike into town.
N2218B

Post by N2218B »

I go into Schafer once or twice a year. It is no problem for a 170 if you pay attention. Keep it light & time departure for early morning. I usualy go in with just me and a whole slug of camping gear. It is imperative to dispose of all liquid refreshments the night before you leave so you are not hauling out unneccessary weight.

I believe the 170 that had the difficulty was out of Helena. I don't know for sure what happened other than the takeoff was aborted too late, it went thru the fence at the end and over the edge. Bummer. That plane had a borer prop on it when it lived here and could really climb but the fellow that sold it told me he changed that prop when he sold it.

West Yellowstone is usable before it officially opens. I'll try to take a run down there next weekend to check the snow on the runway. As soon as the runway and campground are clear there are usually bicycles available in the campground for pilot use. The combination on the locks is a frequency we all know.
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Well, we made it to Seatttle, or we will be there later today.
Now I am looking at being stuck there for a week or more waiting for weather to clear in the mountain route eastbound.
If we have to backtrack and go south of the rain, can anyone recommend a route through the mountains without going clear to San Diego?
N1277D

Cascade Wx

Post by N1277D »

Check the area around Salem Oregon, sometimes there is a break in the overcast between Mt Hood and Mt Jefferson. On the other (east) side of the Cascades the weather is sometimes better.
zero.one.victor

You can often get thru the Cascades via the (Columbia River) Gorge when the weather's too low to fly the passes (Snoqualmie,Stevens,White). Go south to Portland & turn left.

Eric