Angel Flight Mission

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

Angel Flight Mission

Post by dkalwishky »

On August 4th I flew a liver caner patient and her husband from Des Moines, IA to Rochester, MN. I was the leg two pilot, she was coming up from Springfield, MO.

After they got to the airport and stretched their legs we go loaded up into my plane and we took off and headed north. I had to stay lower than normal because of the low ceilings (sure wish I was instrument rated). The flight was uneventful and we landed at Rochester 1:45 after we took off.

After refueling and relaxing for a few minutes I wished them good luck and climbed back into my plane. I turned the mags on and pulled the starter and not much happened! I tired it a couple of times and the engine would barely turn over.

I rounded up an A&P and had him look, at first he though maybe the battery (as did I) so we talked about a few options and decided to jump the plane. We tried that and no luck; the engine would not turn over. At this point it was evident the problem was not with the battery but the starter.

We talked about my options and I finally asked if he would sit in the co-pilots seat while I propped the plane. He said sure. I gave the engine a few shots from the primer, cracked the throttle and asked him to hold the brakes. I went around to the front of the plane and tried to move the plane to check and ensure the brakes were on. Once satisfied I gave the prop one swing and she fired right up! I walked around and he commented that I sure made that look easy. I told him I had learned to fly in an Aeronca Champ that had no starter so every flight was hand propped. He got out and I departed for home with no further problems.

I had my FBO pull the plane in and pull the starter off, there were several problems. The starter and clutch assembly were night screwed tightly together; there was 1/8” gap. The brushes need replacing and the front pinion gear that engages the engine was chewed up on the tip! My plane has a pull starter, no key or button, but a cable you pull. The arm assembly that engages the starter to the engine and activates the starter was broken off at the tip; it was missing at least an inch! This meant that the starter was not fully engaging the engine which accounts for the chewed up gear on the starter.

New parts have been ordered and the starter will be overhauled, this is going to cost about $700 when all is said and done. I wonder if I can write these repairs off on my taxes as part of my charitable contribution to Angel Flight. I write off my fuel and oil expenses each year and this did happen while doing the flight. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Dave
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Don't know about the tax question but I think you could have converted to the key type starter for that kind of money and maybe even cheaper. If its not too late you might want to consider it. It's a much better system.
Shawn
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

ak2711c wrote:Don't know about the tax question but I think you could have converted to the key type starter for that kind of money and maybe even cheaper. If its not too late you might want to consider it. It's a much better system.
Shawn
The push button type from B&C is $900. Skytec is a little cheaper. I looked into that already :)

Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave, exactly WHY is it going to cost so much? You can buy exchange equipment pretty cheap, and I've even bought spare units, complete with mounting plate, clutch, starter, lever, etc. for as little as $50 in serviceable condition. I'm not the lucky type, so THAT's not it!
Have you shopped this around?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

Hi George.

Here is the break down of where I am at so far:

Startyer Lever $ 50
Clutch assembly (used) $210
3 hours labor @ $55 $165
Clutch seal $ 15
Total $440
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ok, Thanks! That's a little different than $700. (And you might want to look into Niagra Air Parts NEW 5-roller clutch. It's priced near what the used ones sell for. If you just want a used one, I've got one a lot cheaper than $210 available.)
Best regards,
George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

Thanks George but my shop has already ordered mine :(

Dave
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

To whoever suggested it, you can't put a key start starter on a pull start engine without either splitting the case to replace the pinion shaft with a bushing or grinding off the pinion shaft with a die grinder. I'm not too wild about grinding parts off down inside the accessory case with the engine all assembled.
BL
170C

Light Weight Starters

Post by 170C »

I am not too enthused about grinding off the pinon shaft on an O300 either, but I have read that if you either make a dam out of cardboard and tape or use modeling clay that you can catch all of the cuttings without them going into the engine. Guess it depends upon how skillful you or you mechanic are and how much luck you have that day. Doing it at overhaul with the engine apart would be the best, but that isn't always an option. I'm still interested in knowing more about the actual experiences of those who have installed the two different brands to see what actual "in use" experience each brand has exhibited with regard to how each has held up, maint. etc.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I also do Angel Flights and I would write off this expense. That is the neat thing about Angel Flight....you can help other people while you help yourself...one of the few win-win situations still out there in aviation world. Glad to see someone else doing Angel Flights in their trusty 170. I love to do them, but realize my 170 is uncomfortable and slow, so I only go for the flights that are around 200 miles and in a west to east direction to have a better chance of getting that rare tailwind that will help me actually pass traffic on the interstate!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

wa4jr wrote:I also do Angel Flights and I would write off this expense. That is the neat thing about Angel Flight....you can help other people while you help yourself...one of the few win-win situations still out there in aviation world. Glad to see someone else doing Angel Flights in their trusty 170. I love to do them, but realize my 170 is uncomfortable and slow, so I only go for the flights that are around 200 miles and in a west to east direction to have a better chance of getting that rare tailwind that will help me actually pass traffic on the interstate!

Actually I have a '156 C172. I also nly take shorted flights, I keep mine to 250 miles or less. I have found it to be very rewarding.

Dave