Internally Lit Fuel Gauges?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Internally Lit Fuel Gauges?

Post by Ryan Smith »

Continuously ponderous though I am, I’m curious if anyone has had the same thought process as I and found a way to mount a grain of wheat bulb into the case for the fuel gauges? I have a spare set of gauges that I could easily work with and figure a way to mount them, but I’d rather not re-invent the wheel if it’s not necessary.

I got the idea of putting lights there from Larry Cranton. He’s got post lights mounted, and while nice, I’d rather not go that route because it would require the fabrication of a mount.

I’m looking at some of these bulbs.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... /341/1288/

I have a tail position light from them since Whelen doesn’t make white Chroma bulbs, and my panel lights are from them as well. I’ve got some bulbs from Superbright LEDs in my Dad’s Bonanza dome light and they are phenomenal.
GAHorn

Re: Internally Lit Fuel Gauges?

Post by GAHorn »

I wonder if fiber-optics might be a solution for this project?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

GAHorn wrote:I wonder if fiber-optics might be a solution for this project?
I’d not considered, but I’m liking that idea better. I’ll research it.

Thanks, George!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If your overhead instrument lighting is still operational a lucite or fiber-optic rod from there, behind the headliner over to the gauges might be a relatively simple solution.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

If you’re set on illuminating the wing root fuel gauges, I would also prefer the idea of fiber optic over a light bulb. I know the needle in the original fuel gauges is magnetically driven and isolated from the tank, but I have seen fuel-stained headliners in that area, so the thought of electricity there makes me shudder a little. For as seldom as I refer to fuel gauges, I’d use a small pocket flashlight.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I’d use a small pocket flashlight.

While I like the concept of being able to see those gauges at night, I’m even more tickled that I think like a ‘rocket scientist’ as I keep a small headlamp wrapped on one of my post lights! :lol:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well...channeling BluEldr here.... “There goes your excuse for running out of gas.”