Oil temperature gauge replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Grizzley

Oil temperature gauge replacement

Post by Grizzley »

I need to replace the original oil temperature gauge in my '53. The probe broke off and the paint on the needle is peeling. I would like to change to an electric gauge and don't know which way to go. Preferably one that fits in the hole which seems to be 2". For certified a/c. If you have replaced yours, I would apreciate your experience and opinion.
Thanks, JD
ghostflyer

Re: Oil temperature gauge replacement

Post by ghostflyer »

I use only “electronics international” [EI] instruments exclusively as they are super reliable ,accurate , and have a design to catch your eye if some thing isn’t right. They are not the cheapest but not the dearest either . Available from Spruce. Most of my flying is bush flying at low level and my eyes are out of the cockpit but when some thing isn’t right I appreciate some bright red flashing light indicator or such. ,
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I replaced mine with an inexpensive Rochester unit from Aircraft Spruce, swapping the existing dial-face into the new gauge before installation in order to keep the markings and appearance. Scott was the OEM but they contracted this gauge out to Rochester. (‘53 B-model). Mechanical gauges work even if an electrical failure should occur.

Beware of cheap electrical gauges. Some, such as the Westach brands, are not “compensated” for OAT and therefore do not read actual temps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Thanks for the input and the food for thought.
I am waiting for the replace,ent from Aircraft Spruce.