Interior door handle replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Deputydog

Interior door handle replacement

Post by Deputydog »

I need to change out my passenger side interior door handle. I scored one from the classic Chevy 40's website. Any tips or videos of how to do it so I don't screw something up?
1950 Cessna 170A model
GAHorn

Re: Interior door handle replacement

Post by GAHorn »

Take a look at this thread, which shows the tool and the alternate method using a rag: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... ve#p122842
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

gahorn wrote:Take a look at this thread, which shows the tool and the alternate method using a rag: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... ve#p122842
Ok thank you very much!
1950 Cessna 170A model
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

Just wanted to follow up on this, I used the handle in that linked thread and it worked perfectly!

Oh and the handle comes with a pre-installed clip in it so no other clips need to be purchased!

Thank you everyone!
1950 Cessna 170A model
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

so what door handle is the exact fit on that site?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

swixtt wrote:so what door handle is the exact fit on that site?
If you get the correct door handle for the spline you have in your airplane, it will be an exact duplicate of your old handle. The same handle is available from several vendors. If you have a 54 or later, the spline and door handle are different. Originally Cessna used a handle from a '53 Mercury. These exact handles are not remanufactured and originals are scarce as hens teeth. I've documented this and other door handles that will fit 54 and later splines in another door handle thread. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... it=mercury
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What Bruce writes is/was very helpful. However, there are lots of ways information can/may be confusing or contradictory.

As has been discussed elsewhere, relying upon the “year model” description of your airframe can be troublesome. The FAA’s description of your year model is based upon the initial application for an Airworthiness Certificate for that airframe. However, the Serial Number/Constructor Number of the airframe will determine the “build” or actual model of the aircraft. An example is my “1953 B-model, which the Airworthiness and Registration certs describe as a 1952 model... because it actually came off the assy line in Nov. 1952. However, it’s SERIAL number is 25713... which is actually a LATE 1953 model-design. (Early 1953 serials used the early type landing gear legs, while the late models (post 25612) had the “lady legs” installed.).

There are other differences within the 1953 model year alone, and other surprises can lie in-wait for airplane owners. Example: Why did Bruce’s A-model have dihedral? Answer: There are plenty of examples of undocumented modifications within the fleet. (No, it didn’t have B model wings. It had L-19 wings. I don’t think we knew which struts it had to create the dihedral). That doesn’t mean an airplane is not airworthy. It only means it’s not completely documented. If you think about it virtually every airplane in the fleet likely has this situation in minor ways (and a few in major ways) ... yet they may be perfectly safe to fly and have been certified every year as “airworthy” by someone supposedly qualified to know.

Back to door handles: It’s possible your door-handle spines are original... or not ...and not documented. Just because you THINK your airplane is un-modified is not necessarily factual.
The Mercury automobile interior door handles Bruce wrote of... have a particular shape very different than the earlier handles. I’m not talking about only the splines... I mean the flatter bladed and the larger, escutcheon which is incorporated into the handle itself (while the earlier escutcheons were separate discs which reside beneath the handle and the door panel. Those handles are easily identified because of their shape and appearance.
Bruce wrote about a situation he discovered that when some owners purchased early handles that they would not fit the later splines of their late B-model... DUE TO THAT CHANGE of handle design with it’s different splines. (My airplane lives it’s daily life with the early 1940’s Chevy handles ...just like most pre-54 models.)

Yet, I had a late Mercury-style handle...and it FIT PERFECTLY my 1953 B-model which ordinarily would have been expected to have the early splines.

Why? I don’t know. But there is a disconnect between what Bruce discovered .... and what actually existed with regard to my “53 model”.

All I know is... that Mercury door handle fits my early (Chevy) spines. It raises the question, “Is it possible that some “Mercury” style handles also existed with earlier-style splines?”

So.... THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS to many of the things we think we know about this airplane. Exceptions occur because of erroneous/missing documentation and errors in history of modifications on these airplanes. Just sayin’....
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johnsunday

Post by johnsunday »

My ‘74 170B S#26330, an Alaska airplane, may have a door off an older bird, and I need a new interior door handle too.
My door spline in nothing like the ‘74 Bruce posted. The end of mine is spuare with the clip groove cut into the spline approx 3/16” from the end of the shaft, and if I knew how to post a pix of it, I would. I’m going to try and sent it to Bruce and see if he can tell me what the replacement it....
Bruce Fenstermacher

John, you have an early spline in that door. So a door handle that will fit a '48-'53 170, will fit it.

And BTW George, it is not the splines themselves that are different, it is where the clip slot is cut that is different. '54 and later splines have the slit cut on the inside of the splines. The pictured one has it cut on the outside.
IMG-4045.JPG

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:John, you have an early spline in that door. So a door handle that will fit a '48-'53 170, will fit it.

And BTW George, it is not the splines themselves that are different, it is where the clip slot is cut that is different. '54 and later splines have the slit cut on the inside of the splines. The pictured one has it cut on the outside.
IMG-4045.JPG
RIght, (Unfortunate choice of wording in my description).

What was interesting to me was the Mercury-style handle fit my ‘53 shafts just fine, and were properly retained. I didn’t expect that.
johnsunday

Post by johnsunday »

Thank-you guys very much for your service to the club!
I’ve ordered a couple of ‘60s Chevy Pickup handles I’ve heard would work.... I’ll let you know.

John Burnett
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here’s the one that fits 53 and previous: https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/89 ... _4048.html
Attachments
3871F102-C972-4C01-959C-D2D3670A98E7.jpeg
3871F102-C972-4C01-959C-D2D3670A98E7.jpeg (9.02 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
Bruce Fenstermacher

gahorn wrote:What was interesting to me was the Mercury-style handle fit my ‘53 shafts just fine, and were properly retained. I didn’t expect that.
I wouldn't expect it either. And I wouldn't count on the Merc handle staying on correctly. I suspect the Merc handle with the clip on the inside of the splines was held in place not by a proper slop for the clip, but clip hit the splines themselves keeping it on.