Garmin G5 mounting the GMU-11

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bakemanmg

Garmin G5 mounting the GMU-11

Post by bakemanmg »

Has anyone installed Garmin G5s? I need ideas on location for my GMU-11
ghostflyer

Re: Garmin G5 mounting the GMU-11

Post by ghostflyer »

Have you looked at the Garmin web site as they give installation instructions but do not specify where to fit. But keeping in mind the GMU-11 is extremely sensitive receiver and more sensitive than a flux gate ,so out in the wing would be good but enough distance away from your strobe . I haven’t the books in front of me but it is mention some where .
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Pages 57-60 of Garmin’s G-5 Installation Manual are about mounting the GMU-11. Garmin goes into greater depth in mounting their GRS 77 AHRS in this manual. Much of what they write there would be applicable to mounting the GMU-11, see especially section 1-4. If strobes are not an issue Stein Air makes this wingtip mount. If you want to add it further inboard from the tip the problem is lack of access as there are no inspection holes/covers on the outboard sections of the wing. You can add a limited number of holes as outlined here. Here's where Cessna mounted the flux detector in the C-210:
Flux Detector.jpg
Last edited by n2582d on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't have a picture at the moment.

I have a Garmin G5 in my panel and it looks and works great. I had it installed in place of the artificial horizon (then sold the horizon on e-bay). The installation house however would not modify the 1952 original panel decorative cover because they did not want to ruine a hard to replace item like that. So I did that myself. Using a nibbler, I cut out a square hole just a little larger than the G5 and using 3/8 acrylic quarter round made a frame that fit around the G5 with about a 1/16 spacing around it. Screwed the frame to the panel cover and with a little plastic putty, priming and painting, the panel now looks like it was designed and made that way. So now I have a glass panel in my plane (although its only about 3" big)

Good luck

Jim Collins N2488D
WJRem

Post by WJRem »

Jim Collins can you post some photos of the panel?
Bill Remington
'52 170B, N118F, s/n: 25329
C-145-2, Electroair Electronic ignition
Decorah, IA
Email: theremingtons at me.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Jim Collins wrote:This is a case where a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't have a picture at the moment.

I have a Garmin G5 in my panel and it looks and works great. I had it installed in place of the artificial horizon (then sold the horizon on e-bay). The installation house however would not modify the 1952 original panel decorative cover because they did not want to ruine a hard to replace item like that. So I did that myself. Using a nibbler, I cut out a square hole just a little larger than the G5 and using 3/8 acrylic quarter round made a frame that fit around the G5 with about a 1/16 spacing around it. Screwed the frame to the panel cover and with a little plastic putty, priming and painting, the panel now looks like it was designed and made that way. So now I have a glass panel in my plane (although its only about 3" big)

Good luck

Jim Collins N2488D
Jim, what route did you use to solve the paper work approval process for the G-5?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

WJRem, I hope the attached photo loads to this site and is helpful to you

John, The avionics shop in Rockford handled all the paperwork but as I understand it, my G5 was the more expensive certified type and they just had to file a 337. This was over a year ago when I also had ADS-B put it by a Garmin 335 Transponder

Thanks

Jim Collins
N2488D
Attachments
Panel2.jpg
WJRem

Post by WJRem »

Thank you Jim Collins for the photo of your panel and G5! Bill
Bill Remington
'52 170B, N118F, s/n: 25329
C-145-2, Electroair Electronic ignition
Decorah, IA
Email: theremingtons at me.com
dstates

Post by dstates »

Anyone have pictures of the magnetometer installation (GMU-11)?
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
dstates

Post by dstates »

One more question... I'm planning on adding Whelen LED nav/strobes on my wingtips in place of the old Grimes nav lights. One of the avionics shops I've talked to about installing G5's said that some strobes can cause interference with the magnatometer. Anyone have experience with this?

Jim, who did you go with for your install of the G5? I'm also in IL (over by Moline).

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

dstates wrote:Anyone have pictures of the magnetometer installation (GMU-11)?
170 progress    2004-10-28 007.jpg
Doug here is a picture of a Bendix/King KMT-112 Magnetic Flux Detector mounted in the top of my 170's fuselage.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"