Cleveland brakes and 8.5-6 tire STC Paperwork

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

triguy85

Cleveland brakes and 8.5-6 tire STC Paperwork

Post by triguy85 »

Sorry if all this has been covered before, tried searching but this is my first time using a forum, so I may prove to be a bit inept. I just bought my first plane, a 1952 170b which is in great shape and is currently in annual. The only caveat is that the mechanic is flagging the Cleveland brakes and the 8.50-6 tires because no paperwork has been filed for them, to my understanding a form 337? I called the previous owner and he had no idea, I guess no one had ever flagged it in his annuals, they have been installed for quite some time. I have tried searching and scouring different resources and am quite sure I am just looking in the wrong places. Any advice for this newbie on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I imagine someone in this group has some experience with this...
Caleb Banister
1952 170B N2613D
beaverbill

Re: Cleveland brakes and 8.5-6 tire STC Paperwork

Post by beaverbill »

If you are an Association member you can go to the MX Library section of this forum. You will find several discussions of Cleveland wheels and 8.50 x 6 tires and the necessary approvals that are available. Membership has its rewards! Isn't that somebody's advertising slogan?
Bill
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome to the Association and congrats on being a new owner.

There is a very extensive search feature built in to this website. You can easily search for any subject such as 8.50-6 tires and get lots of hits.

To help you get started, click on the link below and you’ll see there is no STC but the FAA has addressed this issue. Many folks have taken this letter as approval from the FAA. Some of the wording is awkward but the intent is to say 8.50-6 tires on proper wheels is approved. It says “original” wheels but if you have STC’d Clevelands, that should be good enough. Hope this works for you.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... er#p125152
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

(Edit: It appears Bill and Richard and I were all typing replies at the same time)

They are separate yet co-dependent issues. First you’ll need to find an approval basis for the brakes. Then find an approval basis for the tires. Then find an approval basis for the brakes with THOSE tires (and hoping that the actual wheels, brake-part numbers are consistent with the approval basis found.)

Parker Hannifin/Cleveland sells/sold an STC approving certain wheels and brake parts on the airplane. Those wheels/brakes may or may not be approved in conjunction with those tires.

It is possible that someone went to a salvage yard, found a group of parts they could fit onto your airplane and did so and no approval basis was ever provided for the combination. (It’s also possible that McCauley wheels/brakes are being mistaken for Clevelands ...but that’s another complicating possibility we’ll ignore for now.)

If you go to our MX Library and download the copy of the STC there and then confirm the parts listing in that STC is what is presently installed then you’ll be on your way to satisfying matters. Then treat the tire installation as a separate matter, keeping in mind that the STC likely did not mention those 8:50 tires and you may have to find a different approval basis for the tires if you insist on keeping them. (Or you may choose to install tires which are acceptable for simplicity sake.)

That is my short-version of the task before you. I’ll spend some more time on some research (as will others I am sure) and hopefully help shorten the task.

Edit: Here’s a link to the STC: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10500

Here’s where a fellow Member told of his efforts to obtain approval for the tires: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12089
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Welcome to the forum!

This post explains why you don’t even need an STC to install 40-97A Cleveland wheel assemblies and 30-63A brakes.
Gary
triguy85

Post by triguy85 »

Thanks so much for the responses guys! I had a feeling the questions had been answered many times before just wasn't sure where/how to look. Im slowly learning how the forum works and hopefully won't post many questions that have already been answered in the future! Seems like a great group of people in the association, look forward to getting more involved and hopefully one day I'll be able to actually answer questions. These answers have been immensely helpful, hopefully with this I can get my plane out of "Annual Jail".

Thanks again.
Caleb
Caleb Banister
1952 170B N2613D