Venturi System not producing enough vacuum

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pbsroth

Venturi System not producing enough vacuum

Post by pbsroth »

1952 Ces 170 B. Does anyone know who works on venturi vacuum systems in Colorado. I'm only getting 2". No Vert gyro compass or Art. Horizon. Seem that today's mechanics know very little about these systems. How do you static test the system? Has anyone replaced the venturi with a vacuum pump, and if so what system works well. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Email would be better pbsroth@gmail.com, but Forum is OK also.
N2625U

Re: Venturi System not producing enough vacuum

Post by N2625U »

Check the inside of the venturi. Mine had a lot of rust in it disturbing the airflow going through it. When I smoothed it out with a round wire brush it raised my vacuum 2 inches. Make sure the small hole inside the venturi is clear. I had checked all hoses and connections and they were good. The rust in the venturi was the problem for me.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Phil,
Sounds to me like nothing is wrong with your system. If I read you right all that the venturi is powering is a vacuum turn and bank. These require a vacuum of 1.8" - 2.2". Normally, on systems that require a higher vacuum for the artificial horizon and directional gyro, there is a restrictor valve to reduce the vacuum to 2.0" for the turn and bank. It appears your vacuum relief valve (fig. 76-19) is correctly set to 2.0" for the T&B.
Restrictor Valve
Restrictor Valve
pipe_switch.jpg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
If the only thing the venturi is powering is the T&B you might want to consider going back to the original style electric T&B and remove the entire vacuum system.
Gary
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

What are your venturis rated? There are generally either 2 in.hg., 4" in.hg, or 9"in.hg. These are very simple systems and I would think any capable mechanic could figure it out. I would not go with a vacuum pump especially if you are only powering a T&B, besides the fact that venturis are more reliable then a pump.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I agree with Gary; if all you have is a vacuum turn and bank, then 2 inHg is all you need. To check for proper operation, just establish a standard rate turn according to your turn and bank, then time a 180 degree turn. It should be close to 1 minute.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

How long has it been since the vacuum instrument in question has been overhauled? They tend to be neglected until they don’t work anymore.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!