Emergency Repair Kit - what should you bring?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have heard of people who survived the crash or forced landing,only to die of exposure before help arrived. I carry an old wool army blanket and a heavy wool sweater in my kit-bag. I figure the blanket might also come in handy if I get lucky at a fly-in. :wink:

Eric
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Hold on! :roll: I got to lookin at this and the Survival Trunks of Lower 48 Pilots. :lol: Now that I've moved down to the Lower 48, my emergency gear is a Cell Phone, Snickers Bar, & TP. C'mon if you really go down, there'll be Reporters there before you can get out of the plane. In Alaska it's Life & Death Survival, in the Lower 48 it's an inconvient delay. Probably the most important tool is a Credit Card. :P
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

David Laseter wrote:Hold on! :roll: I got to lookin at this and the Survival Trunks of Lower 48 Pilots. :lol: Now that I've moved down to the Lower 48, my emergency gear is a Cell Phone, Snickers Bar, & TP. C'mon if you really go down, there'll be Reporters there before you can get out of the plane. In Alaska it's Life & Death Survival, in the Lower 48 it's an inconvient delay. Probably the most important tool is a Credit Card. :P
Ya Dern right Dave!! My three big items to carry in Alaska are an axe, flint and .375HH Magnum rifle. If I can't chop, burn or shoot my out of what ever jam I'm in, to hell with it!! :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ha! Now dang-it. I said the Ak guys were probably better at this sort of thing in my original msg. But Dave, you gotta get out of that Ak thinkin' when your down here with the rest of us. Bein' borned in Arkinsaw, I kin tell yore not equipp'd fer gettin' forced down in the Ozarks! All yew need in the Ozarks is a Playboy and a Mason jar. (Yew kin trade thet Playboy fur a fillup of 'shine!) :wink:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

After attending the "Gathering of Warbirds" airshow at Olympia WA last Saturday-- where were you,Bela?-- I was taxi'ing out for departure in a long line of airplanes and I noticed that the airplane felt "funny". Opened the door leaned out & looked back,and wouldn't ya know the tailwheel was flat. Drat!
I'm pretty darn sure that I wouldn't have been able to procure a tube anywhere on the field,even though they have an FBO-- most places are only gonna have 600-6 tubes in stock for the spam-cans. So the spare (old) tailwheel tire & tube I've been packing around for several years finally came in handy. It wasn't a life-threatening situation,but it saved me a lot of inconvenience.
I did have to borrow a bottlejack & blocks and a socket set from some airshow fans camped out in their motorhome right by where I stopped. Today I bought another socket set to keep in the airplane kitbag,and am in the process of designing & building a bottlejack extension to carry in the airplane (along with the jack) so I can be more self-sufficient. It woulda really been an inconvenience if I'd flown into a remote strip with no-one around.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I got a late start that day, and didn't get airborne until 12:30pm
or so (I knew there was no way in haydies I'd make it to
Olympia by the 12:45pm closing time of the airport). Ended
up heading up to Bandera to play for awhile, and then bopped
around until I got thirsty enough to head back to the barn.

Oh well.... I'm not so sure I could put up with them
warbird driver ego's for 4+ hours anyway :lol:

Sorry I missed y'all...
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

George, what does all that stuff you carry weigh ?
Rudy
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Sorry, George- didn't read your message carefully- 22.5 lbs.
That's not bad-
Rudy