Rosen Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary

Post by Gary »

Thank you forum for the information. I received my visors the other day and took them to the plane to dry mount them before drilling any holes. I have several questions as to mounting the visors. When you mounted yours, did you use the revnuts on the forward edge of the spar above the windscreen or did you drill up into the bottom of that spar? It looks like it would be better in the forward edge of the spar as the bolts will not fit in the holes in the bottom of the visor brackets. I have taken off the trim that hides the headliner hooks on the forward edge of that spar and I might trim the wing root cover to get the visors mounted outboard as far as possible. Question #2. It seems like the visors will be a bit on the close side to my face. As the mounting bracket moves the pivot point aft about 2 inches, it seems like the visor will be right in my face when it hangs straight down. #3. Does the visor interfere with the wing root vent? Thanks again, GARY
170C

Rosen Visors

Post by 170C »

You guys who said all the good things about Rosen Visors ought to be getting a commission check from Rosen. I had toyed with the idea of someday putting them in Ole Pokey (if I have to fly so slow I probably need better sun visors!). So I got the fever again while reading the vrs posts and bit the $221 dust and got a pair. Installed them Sat am just before leaving for the Texas 170 Assn Flyin in Mt. Pleasant. I already had regular visors, so putting the Rosen's in was a snap (about 20 minutes--yea, I'm slow too!). They seemed to work real well, especially Sat PM flying from Dave Mason's back to Triple S, mostly into the sun. The bar that holds the plastic visor itself is a couple of inches below the headliner and thus a gap is there, but the visor can be folded up against the headliner to close that up. With only about 4 hours of flight time on them, I am still learning how to use them to their best advantage, but I think I too will be singing their praises. The ability to see through them, the ability to slide them left & right and I think if the sun were in the right place, one could actually put one visor over the other in the middle for double glare reduction are all nice features. The fact they will swing around to the side doesn't seem to be all that big of an advantage in a cessna since we have that big shade anyway (ie: wing), however in a low wing I can see how that would be nice. In the late afternoon or early morning if flying North or South I can see how we might use that feature somewhat. The bracket should extend forward toward the windshield rather than downward and thus it should not put the visor any closer to one's head than the factor type visors. Now I will give them a real trial going to Tehachapi.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Gary

Post by Gary »

170C, As your mounting experience is so fresh, I have several questions as to mounting the visors. I received from Rosen part number RCS 300-1. They have a large black anodized aluminum bracket with a 90-degree bend that should go around the forward spar. The holes in the bottom of the bracket are to small for the #10 bolts provided. When I put them in place as marked for the pilot and co pilot side, the vertical part of the "L" bracket goes against the forward edge of the spar and up and the horizontal part of the L goes aft. That moves the pivot point aft about 2 inches. That makes mine with no gap between the headliner and the visor. It doesn't seem that the spar is a 90 angle (due to the headliner clips and the trim cover the headliner?). So the bracket doesn't butt up against the spar.?? When you mounted yours, did you use the revnuts on the forward edge of the spar above the windscreen or did you drill up into the bottom of that spar? It looks like it would be better in the forward edge of the spar as the bolts will not fit in the holes in the bottom of the visor brackets. JDH drilled the holes bigger and mounted up into the spar. Thanks too for your imput JDH. Thanks again, GARY
PS I measure twice (or three times) and drill only once.
170C

Rosen Visors

Post by 170C »

Unfortunately I am in Little Rock, AR on a busness trip & can't look at my plane until Sat. My bird is a '56 172 which would have whatever the '55/56 170 had in regard to the visor set up. My factory (?) visors attach on the forward side of the spar (as opposed to the bottom of the spar). I was in such a hurry to get them put on Sat AM that I used the screws that held my orginal visors in place, only to find the plastic envelope with instructions, rivnuts & hex head screws under the second Rosen visor. (You know what they say about haste making waste!). I did try one of the hex heads to see if it would screw into the existing rivnuts and it did so. However the Rosen hex heads are longer than the screws I used so I will have to see if that presents any problem. Sat, if time permits, I will take them back off and see about using the correct hex screws and also see if maybe I got them on incorrectly which could be causing the gap between the horizontal bar and my headliner (although as I said earlier, by folding the visor up against the headliner it blocks the gap. ) I will check it out and get back to you over the weekend if I see anything I think might be of help to you. If you want to send me your phone number via faxI will be glad to call you. 817-297-9818 or email me at address in my profile. My visors are up at the extreme top of the spar & outboard as far as they can go. Requires stubby screwdriver due to windshield.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I cut the angle off the mounting bracket, filed it smooth and then "painted" it with a magic marker. Take the bracket off to do this so you don't get chips in the slide mechanism as it will gall and ruin it. Cost me $40 for a new slode. Anyway then I just mounted them to the bottom of the spar. Very clean.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well, they are in. I drilled 1/4 holes in the leading edge of the spar with a 90-degree drill chuck and installed the revnuts provided. It took me several hours and had to work in cramped position facing aft. I also took off the wing root trim to get the visors outboard as far as possible. Then had to trim off just a little bit of the wing root trim pieces to clear the visor brackets. These now cover one of the screws in the bracket (the outboard screw). I also had to remove the head liner aluminum trim that covers the leading edge of the spar. Then I drilled holes in it as well to allow the bracket to go on the outside of everything. Got it all buttoned up and flew for about 15 minutes before we were forced back to the ground by rain showers. Looking forward to flying on a bright day to give the visors a good test. They sure look good though. I also got my Gamin GPSMAP 296 installed and is it neat. Didn't get to test it as much as I wanted either but sure will on our way to Oshkosh. Thanks again for all the advice and help. Did anyone find a filled out 337 for the visors? Should be easy "as per manufactures installation instructions". GARY
PS Frank, If you have the pilots visor on the co-oilots side, and vise versa, you will get that 2 inch gap between the head liner and when you move the visors off to the side position, the slide will hit the bracket. You might want to check them. Thanks for the help. GARY
170C

Visors

Post by 170C »

Gary, sounds like you have the visor situation taken care of. That's great! I will have to verify that I put mine on correctly and that the pilots side is on the pilots side. I think it is. May we both enjoy our new toys/investments.

How about giving us a user's report on the Garmin 296 when you get back from Oshkosh? I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to know from a new purchaser how you found it to work in vrs situations. I will be looking forward to your impressions, etc.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Just to clarify this matter.....I hope you guys didn't really drill into the SPAR! I'm pretty sure you meant to say PN 0511130, Shield, Front Spar Trim (the sheet metal strip at the front of the headliner.)
Drilling into the spar will likely make your airplane permanently unairworthy!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

George is probably right. The STC mounting instructions (if my memory is correct) say to utilize the existing nutplate on the bottom of the spar carry through that was used for the stock visors, then by STC instructions another hole can be drilled to put in a rivnut for the second mounting bolt.

Of course your A&P supervised the work and signed it off in the logs and submitted the 337 form right?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I believe late 53 or 54 models were the first to have the factory nutplates for mounting the Cessna visors.

Harold
N92CP
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

My '52 was equipped with what I believe were factory visors.
BL
170C

Rosen's

Post by 170C »

Got a chance to read the instructions and refer to other posts here on Sat and found I had incorrectly mounted them. They would work OK, but now no gap at the top and I don't see any problem with visors being too close to my face since they easily fold forward when needed. Mine mounted to the forward side of the spar, where the headliner trim strip is located at the extreme outboard sides. I assume the nutplates (revnuts) were factory installed. Looking forward to using them going to Tehachapi.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

What day are you leaving heading to California? I'm hoping all this lingering weather moves out soon. If it stays like it has been around here for the last two weeks, we won't need sunvisors.

Harold
N92CP
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Just ran across this post, but would also like to sing the praises of the Rosen visors. I've put them on everything from a TriPacer to a Taylorcraft and they really do the job.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
KMac

Post by KMac »

Hey,
Read this post on Rosen Visors. Do I understand correctly that you do not put the rivnuts into the forward spar carry through? There doesn't seem to be enough room between the spar shield and the spar to have the rivnuts in the spar shield (pn 0511130). How did you do it?
Thanks
Kevin