Fried Narco Mark 12D Nav/Com

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JMACFLY

Fried Narco Mark 12D Nav/Com

Post by JMACFLY »

About 10 miles west of Deland,FL yesterday afternoonI flew through some wood smoke, unintentionally. As my cockpit vents cleared the smoke smell, I got a big whiff of burnt electrical stuff. I was not sure if this burnt electrical smell was mixed with the wood smoke, or from something onboard. I immediately traded altitude for speed and set up a best glide landing pattern into Deep Woods, a 2600'private strip in the Ocala National Forest, less than 2 miles away. I've gone into this strip many times before so this was a very deliberate and orderly exit from the sky. On the ground we found that my nav/com was fried and the source of that burned electrical smell. Since my transponder still worked, I called Orlando Exec Tower for proceedures to get in with no radio. Exec told me to squak 7600 and look for the green light from the tower when I entered the pattern. The airtraffic controlers know my 170 and said that they would keep other planes out of my way. The 20 minute flight home was uneventful and the pattern sequence was a non event.

I pulled the scorched radio today and mailed it to NARCO. I just emailed Wentworth for prices on salvaged radios. Have any of the members had to replace a Mark12D, and if so where did you shop? What is the King nav/com equivalent?
Hope to have an other radio in 2 or 3 weeks.
First radio to do this in my 41 years. John
John
1949 C170A
TIC170A #4747