FORWARD...INTO THE FUTURE... (Daylight Savings Chg today)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

FORWARD...INTO THE FUTURE... (Daylight Savings Chg today)

Post by GAHorn »

I hope everone notices their cell phones and computers have automatically accomplished what we need to do for the rest of our clocks.... set them FORWARD 1-hour. (I got up to find I missed Sunday School already... so I'm taking the rest of the day off also.) 8)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Hineywheel Bill

Re: FORWARD...INTO THE FUTURE... (Daylight Savings Chg today

Post by Hineywheel Bill »

Apparently my internal clock has an automatic time-change update, I woke up at 3:30am just like normal. I do wish, though, that now that time has sprung forward it would just stay that way. :wink:
Owner of:
1954 C170B N1921C S/N 26066
Former owner of:
1948 C170 N3815V
1951 C170A N1490D
1946 C140 N76447
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've always thought they had it backward. Days are longer in summer and daylight ends later. It's winter ...when I wish we had more daylight...so if the clock were switched forward in winter....it should make all days throughout the year more nearly identical. At least, that's how it seems to me...

There is now a movement to keep DST all year-round... and this means that children awaiting the schoolbus will be out standing in the dark throughout the school year. I feel sorry for the kids who have to get up two hours before the sun... And out here in the countryside, it's disturbing to drive down a country-lane and suddenly find children standing by the roadside in the dark. I guess there's no way around it tho' ...unless the school-hours are shifted later.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I lived in Michigan for a couple of years before DST was invented. We stood at the bus stop every morning in the cold, snow, and dark and nobody thought anything about it. Even if you didn't want to go to school, we were always glad when the bus came and we could warm up.

George has a good point about DST in the winter, but I think most folks could more effectively use an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day, all year long.

I know the farmers would be happy to have an extra hour of sunlight every day to grow the crops! 8O :lol:
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

hilltop170 wrote:I lived in Michigan for a couple of years before DST was invented.
  • What is the origin of Daylight Savings Time in the US?
    In 1917, Australia and Newfoundland began saving daylight. The plan was not formally adopted in the U.S. until 1918. 'An Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States' was enacted on March 19, 1918.
Holy smoke Richard, your older than I thought. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Well, we must have gone to school real early because is sure was dark, 1964-1966. It got light after 1st period if I remember correctly but CRS might be creeping in on that memory. The point was, is wasn't really a problem anybody worried about back then, we just accepted walking to the bus stop in the dark.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Australia does not have day light saving totally , each state has a different time zone even on the eastern sea board. We had a premier of Queensland [Joh Bjelke Petersen] make a claim the cows wouldn’t come down to be milked plus the kids wouldn’t go to bed each night as it was too daylight . I haven’t mentioned about the curtains fading extra either but that could have been put up by the media . So after all these years we still have different time zones , confusing for business and for aviators . People are very resistant and reluctant to change in this part of the world. Especially goverment officials .
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

hilltop170 wrote:I know the farmers would be happy to have an extra hour of sunlight every day to grow the crops! 8O :lol:
The farmers I know don't give a hoot what the hands on the clock say - they get up before the sun and work until either the sun goes down or the work is done...

Honestly, DST is like cutting off the end of the blanket near your head and sewing it onto the end near your feet in an effort to make the blanket longer because you like warmer feet...it's really kind of silly. All of it.

Florida is trying to do DST all year. We'll see how that goes.

Get up earlier or go to bed later or both...there are only so many of hours of daylight for each given day at a given latitude. If you want 12 and 12 - move towards the equator - if you want all day or all night half the year, move way north...like north of 55* latitude (or way down south - and I ain't talking Alabama). Otherwise, it's somewhat pointless to even waste energy debating the merits of one or the other...since none of us can change it!
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

About 27 years ago, I had a coworker buddy that had never been turkey hunting. Back then the spring forward time change happened in April, usually the opening weekend of turkey season.
Well, we had spent a few weeks scouting and found the perfect place to be when they flew off the roost in the morning. He was so excited about opening morning I thought he was going to ignite. We had these turkeys timed right down to the minute. I called him before opening morning and reminded him of time change, and that he didn't need to be here at 5am, needed to be 6am.
With concern and confusion in his voice, he asked "won't the turkeys be long gone?" It took me no less than 30 minutes to explain that NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT THE POSITION OF THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Yes, but the turkeys might have know also . They are pretty smart.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

We have enough turkeys here without bringing in any more..... especially from the roost in Arkansas!
170C

Post by 170C »

Some (moderated text) are concerned that the chickens laying habits will be upset by dst 8O Never knew the cows to need a clock to know when they needed milking :mrgreen:

(Moderated to remove politically charged text by Bruce)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Oh, must have been from one of the cohorts of the guy who said Guam was gonna tip over and sink with too many people.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

wingnut wrote:It took me no less than 30 minutes to explain that NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT THE POSITION OF THE HANDS ON THE CLOCK.
Heh heh, I get it. You wanted him to miss the turkeys. Did he fall for it? :twisted: :wink: