Wanted: Bartone Exhaust Extensions (merged topic)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Wanted: Bartone Exhaust Extensions (merged topic)

Post by n2582d »

Pat Bartone has had a problem with a supplier being ill and not being able to complete his order. He suggested I reach out to the 170 community to see if there are a set of stacks which someone has elected not to install. I’m looking for the style that has the downward curve at the end. Text or call 209-626-9626 or email gdfrsn(at)gmail(dot)com or PM here.
Gary
Mapleflt

Bartone Exhaust (Moved from TradeMart)

Post by Mapleflt »

Are they still available to purchase ?

Mapleflt
n2582d

Re: Bartone Exhaust (merged topic)

Post by n2582d »

Pat is looking for someone else who will make them at a reasonable price. He said the problem is finding someone that is willing to fabricate small batches. Most want to do several hundred at a time.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Re: Bartone Exhaust (Moved from TradeMart)

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Mapleflt wrote:Are they still available to purchase ?

Mapleflt
Call Pat Bartone directly; he’s in the directory. They were available as late as last year when I bought replacements for my Benhams that were damaged/destroyed at Creve Coeur. However when they came they were shaped pretty much identically to my Benhams, without the nice curve at the end.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
Mapleflt wrote:Are they still available to purchase ?

Mapleflt
Call Pat Bartone directly; he’s in the directory. They were available as late as last year when I bought replacements for my Benhams that were damaged/destroyed at Creve Coeur. However when they came they were shaped pretty much identically to my Benhams, without the nice curve at the end.
I had already called before you posted, Miles, left a message, and am awaiting a return call. I'm pretty sure my local shop will make them on an "as ordered" basis pretty fair-priced, but I'm wondering if, 1- Pat will supply installation approval/STC paperwork because the last I heard he would not, and 2- if he will share his drawings so I can have them duplicated, which will be absolutely necessary. Otherwise, without the two items above, ...anyone, anywhere can make their own at the local muffler shop just as well and probably a lot cheaper.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
TFA170

Re: Wanted: Bartone Exhaust Extensions

Post by TFA170 »

Last edited by TFA170 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

Last edited by TFA170 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:...
I had already called before you posted, Miles, left a message, and am awaiting a return call. I'm pretty sure my local shop will make them on an "as ordered" basis pretty fair-priced, but I'm wondering if, 1- Pat will supply installation approval/STC paperwork because the last I heard he would not, and 2- if he will share his drawings so I can have them duplicated, which will be absolutely necessary. Otherwise, without the two items above, ...anyone, anywhere can make their own at the local muffler shop just as well and probably a lot cheaper.
I originally used Benham exhaust instead of Bartones because they were STC’d and Bartones weren’t. I think Pat may have acquired John Benham’s STC, which might help explain why the set of pipes I got from him looked just like the ones I got from John in 2006.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
I originally used Benham exhaust instead of Bartones because they were STC’d and Bartones weren’t. I think Pat may have acquired John Benham’s STC, which might help explain why the set of pipes I got from him looked just like the ones I got from John in 2006.
DId it include STC paperwork? (Yes, I also understand that Pat bought out John's spares.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:
DId it include STC paperwork? (Yes, I also understand that Pat bought out John's spares.)
Yes, STC# SA8645SW
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Poncho73

Re: Wanted: Bartone Exhaust Extensions (merged topic)

Post by Poncho73 »

I would be interested in a set as well.....
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

Folks, I just visited with Pat last week at his home. I did ask him about further supplies on the exhaust pipes since I knew others were looking. He said he was still looking for a shop that would build them at a reasonable price. Perhaps if we could point him toward the right shop we could get them going again. Pat is still a big fan of these planes and the folks who fly them.
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

Last edited by TFA170 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

Diameter, thickness, material, bend radius and anything else.

Know a guy in Houston who builds race car headers for me. Good work and reasonable. Stainless or carbon steel.
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
1951 170A “Blue Lightening” Sold 20021
jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

I could use a set if there is a run going. I just had my right one fabricated and they messed up the angle so it did not fit. Took to muffler shop to put a new bend in it to lower the pipe 2" and they crushed it. Argh. So would be interested in getting one or a complete new set done correctly.
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65