Beware of the internet, it’s there for eternity

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Beware of the internet, it’s there for eternity

Post by ghostflyer »

Many people put things on the internet not realising that it’s there for eternity. You might think you have deleted that racy photo or what you told the world about yours dogs bad habits ,sorry it’s more permanent than stone. Even if you didn’t put it there ,some else can.
I was talking to a colleague that other day [ he is from england] and we were discussing Pervical Proctors which were a 4 seater all wooden tail dragger built I around 1940,s to the 1950,s . He loves old English aircraft. They all now have a major issue with the glue now decomposing which renders the aircraft to the fire place. [ My joke to him]. He wanted my professional opinion what could be a fix. I then mentioned to him that I pranged one at Christie’s beach in south Australia many years ago. “i know about that one “ Tim replied. “WHAT’ !!!! But that was 50 odd years ago,, I replied . Tim was doing his apprenticeship in England at Hawke De haviland at that time . [so he wasn’t there and I hadn’t told anybody ] It’s on the internet, he said . Internet wasn’t around then . Tim then showed me the photo of the offending aircraft on his iPad
I was at a fly in at Christie’s beach 50 odd years ago and a person who had borrowed this aircraft from a friend of his offered me a ride in it and during the flight asked me if I want to do fly it. WOW !! So with a total flying time of .5 hour , he asked me did I wanted to try and land it . I was talked through the approach and the dirt runway was in a ploughed field . Touch down resulted in aircraft swinging right and then we were on our nose ,stopped with prop bent .
I exited the aircraft and was standing in front of the aircraft “OMG what’s mum,s going to say about this, when I tell her”.
Then a newspaper photographer snaps me standing in front of the aircraft . Mum never found out.
So 50 odd years ago , I was only 15 or 16 years old some thing I did comes back to,haunt me .
johneeb

Re: Beware of the internet, it’s there for eternity

Post by johneeb »

Are you or your friend interested in a Percival Proctor basket case? I know of one, that should be looking for a new home.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thank you for your offer, me , I only play with Cessna 170,s. I have asked Tim and he tells me that australia has enough basket cases . Realisticly they are doomed to the “fireplace”. The glues are the issues. Plus the Gipsy,Major engines ,well parts are getting hard to get..
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Many people put things on the internet not realising that it’s there for eternity. You might think you have deleted that racy photo or what you told the world about yours dogs bad habits ,sorry it’s more permanent than stone. Even if you didn’t put it there ,some else can.
I was talking to a colleague that other day [ he is from england] and we were discussing Pervical Proctors which were a 4 seater all wooden tail dragger built I around 1940,s to the 1950,s . He loves old English aircraft. They all now have a major issue with the glue now decomposing which renders the aircraft to the fire place. [ My joke to him]. He wanted my professional opinion what could be a fix. I then mentioned to him that I pranged one at Christie’s beach in south Australia many years ago. “i know about that one “ Tim replied. “WHAT’ !!!! But that was 50 odd years ago,, I replied . Tim was doing his apprenticeship in England at Hawke De haviland at that time . [so he wasn’t there and I hadn’t told anybody ] It’s on the internet, he said . Internet wasn’t around then . Tim then showed me the photo of the offending aircraft on his iPad
I was at a fly in at Christie’s beach 50 odd years ago and a person who had borrowed this aircraft from a friend of his offered me a ride in it and during the flight asked me if I want to do fly it. WOW !! So with a total flying time of .5 hour , he asked me did I wanted to try and land it . I was talked through the approach and the dirt runway was in a ploughed field . Touch down resulted in aircraft swinging right and then we were on our nose ,stopped with prop bent .
I exited the aircraft and was standing in front of the aircraft “OMG what’s mum,s going to say about this, when I tell her”.
Then a newspaper photographer snaps me standing in front of the aircraft . Mum never found out.
So 50 odd years ago , I was only 15 or 16 years old some thing I did comes back to,haunt me .
You really didn't need to re-tell that long story.... all you had to do was mention "Number 64"... we all already knew about it.... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Sorry, Tim and I were discussing old times the other day and having a laugh about it and the issues of the internet .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My daughter (in NY law school) was in the research-library and, for curiosity, searched my name, and found a newspaper article from 1973 where I'd landed a pipeline-patrol aircraft at a closed, WWII emerg. strip low on fuel. The story included the local rancher telling of my adding 5 gals of autogas to the airplane and taking off again.... this was before approvals for mogas were common. :oops:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Back in 1967 my dad had a relatively minor accident in a Cessna 140. Four years to the day latter he was killed in a car accident. Then forty years latter I found the aircraft accident report on the NTSB site. Poor old Dad never dreamed that his mistake "Pilot Error" would be posted forever on the internet available to most Americans to see while sitting in their living rooms. Who knows what people will be able to find out about all of us in the future its almost to scary to think about. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug