IA recommendations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyingredyeti

IA recommendations

Post by flyingredyeti »

Hello all,

It's almost time for the annual on '26C and I don't yet have my inspection authorization. Can anyone recommend an affordable IA in the Anchorage area?

Thanks.
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
GAHorn

Re: IA recommendations

Post by GAHorn »

<sarcasm ON> Can anyone afford to fly WITHOUT an IA ...regardless of his fee? <sarcasm OFF> LOL

The most expensive annual inspection I ever had was performed by a low-cost idiot. He nearly killed a couple of my friends who used my Baron subsequent to that annual.
I still have the broken, brass, fuel-elbow he fractured by improperly installing a generator belt-adjustment arm using the fuel elbow as a brace. While flying, at night, they suddenly smelled fuel in the cockpit as the right engine sputtered and recovered when the pilot flipped ON the boost-pump.
After landing, it was discovered the engine only continued to run because of the increased fuel-flow provided by the boost-pump.... but most of that fuel was being sprayed out of the cracked elbow directly onto the exhaust tailpipes exiting beneath the right wing.

Since YOU are obviously an A&P and probably doing the 100 hr inspection prior to an IA sign-off.... your inspection is probably not such a problem. WHERE in Alaska do you need an IA?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The following are all excellent shops familiar with 170s and I have personally used all of them.

Mike Petrie/MLJ Aircraft at Birchwood
Wick Air at 4-Corners Airport
Mark Kapsner at Willow
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
KG

Post by KG »

I'll add Kenai Aviation in Kenai to the list. Mine is there now. While primarily a part 135 operation, they are doing quite a bit of outside maintenance and are also very familiar with the 170.
53 170B
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

Thanks guys!

-joshua
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
KG

Post by KG »

Hi .. I thought I sent a reply to your private message to me... but I don't see it in my "sent" mailbox. Did you get it? If not, I'll reply when I get back to my computer later today...
53 170B
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

Sorry Keith, I haven't received anything.

-joshua
WJRem

Post by WJRem »

Any recommendations for A&P/IA in the Raleigh Durham, NC area? Thank you!
Bill Remington
'52 170B, N118F, s/n: 25329
C-145-2, Electroair Electronic ignition
Decorah, IA
Email: theremingtons at me.com
KG

Post by KG »

WJRem wrote:Any recommendations for A&P/IA in the Raleigh Durham, NC area? Thank you!
Bob Woods is near Goldsboro NC. He is a well respected aircraft restorer. He did quite a bit of work on my airplane when I was in the area a few years ago. I bet Ryan Smith knows how to get in touch with him.
53 170B
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

KG wrote:
WJRem wrote:Any recommendations for A&P/IA in the Raleigh Durham, NC area? Thank you!
Bob Woods is near Goldsboro NC. He is a well respected aircraft restorer. He did quite a bit of work on my airplane when I was in the area a few years ago. I bet Ryan Smith knows how to get in touch with him.
Bob Woods sounds familiar. I work in Goldsboro, but live in Greensboro. My own airplane is maintained by Ron Murphy at Air Harbor in Greensboro, who is a longtime family friend.

I know several great mechanics, but few of them own a shop. Where is your airplane located?