Birds!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mrpibb

Birds!

Post by mrpibb »

Ok, could someone explain to me why the birds at my airport hang out on my airplane and not on the other ones in my row? I showed up today to fly and found birds sitting on my rudder, prop, antennas wheels... you get the idea. Could it be that i'm the most reasent to that airport or is it that my plane has some kinda bird scent. This has been happening for a month now, the other owners thank me for keeping the birds of of there aircraft!
So what can I do that will keep the birds off of my aircraft without offending my airport manager with lawn ornaments, ie pink flamingo's and spinning daisy's ( no offense to the one's who do ) :wink: . or should I just include bird doo do as my part of my preflight.
Thank's
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
ohanley

Post by ohanley »

While admitting that bird dropings are a pain.....you should also consider it an honour that the birds consider your machine "one of their own". (Birds of a feather flock together) :lol: :lol:
ohanley
N5756C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Why would your airport mgr be offended? Is he named "Daisy"? Or does he tend to dress in pink? (Maybe you should find another airport.) :lol:
Perhaps you park in a particular location the birds like. Have you tried parking in a totally different ramp area?
Or perhaps the birds are merely expressing their opinion of your plane. Is your airplane a green A-model? And do they also have no difficulty perching on it in flight? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Perhaps you park in a particular location the birds like. Have you tried parking in a totally different ramp area?
Mabee that's why that spot was available, maybe that's the newcommer's spot and as with time the will move me to a non bird area? Can't change spots as there is a waiting list. However I'm thinking of enlisting the aid of some plastic friends, probably a snake and owl. I just find it odd that the planes to my right and left are bird free, I guess birds don't like Cherokee's and Stinsons :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

FWIW, I've seen those plastic owls mounted on airplanes to repel birds. Doesn't seem to work too well,as often the owl is covered with bleep too.
I've seen open-faced hangars that were bird-proofed (?) by hangina a bunch of tin cans on strings & stuff that the wind flapped around to alarm the birds. Don't know if that works either.

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:Why would your airport mgr be offended? Is he named "Daisy"? Or does he tend to dress in pink? (Maybe you should find another airport.) :lol:
Or perhaps the birds are merely expressing their opinion of your plane. Is your airplane a green A-model? And do they also have no difficulty perching on it in flight? :lol:
A short poem by 78D about some birds trying to fly in formation:
:lol:
Ahead we forge
But where is George

He fell behind again
Is he our kin

No, he is a slower bird
Think he needs to be in a herd

Always coming in late
Guess it is his fate
:lol:
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Don't worry George, I having my prop repitched tomorrow to a climb prop, someone's gotta watch your back. Just to let everyone know that if you come across a white with grey and blue Ragwing cruising just above the white arc she was once a contender that held her own. :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Terse Verse: Ode of an A-model upon coming across a white and green example in a traffic jam:
One cannot get enough
Of this velocity stuff.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Has anyone noticed the kinder, gentler forum. One month ago we where slinging BS at each other over political crap. Now we are writing poems about each other. 8O

Still the same BS just more sophisticated. I'm reminded of a sign which a deceased friend hung over his desk which read something like this; "Tact: the art of telling a person to go to hell and make them feel good about the trip." I've heard several variations of this.

It's nice how we are displaying more tact. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

BIRDS

Post by 170C »

It would probably torque the airport manager (and others), but a good 12 gauge with #9 shot might help with the problem!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Vic
So far besides the usual cowl plugs, the best thing I have found to keep the birds out from under the engine compartment and there for away from my plane, is an empty 16oz plastic Pepsi bottle loosely hung buy scrape saftey wire from the gasolator. I think the birds either don't like the movement or perhaps maybe the wind passing over the bottle top creates. Or maybe they are just Coke fans. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Guess what? no bird doo do on the prop today, then again there was no prop!! :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:Has anyone noticed the kinder, gentler forum. One month ago we where slinging BS at each other over political crap. Now we are writing poems about each other. 8O

Still the same BS just more sophisticated. I'm reminded of a sign which a deceased friend hung over his desk which read something like this; "Tact: the art of telling a person to go to hell and make them feel good about the trip." I've heard several variations of this.

It's nice how we are displaying more tact. 8)
Depart thee forthwith, to Hades, Bruce! :lol:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

This thread is for the birds :wink:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:This thread is for the birds :wink:
Methinks it fowl! (But it's hardly a Cardinal point in the conversation.) :lol: