Door Stops & Stop latch

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2801c

Door Stops & Stop latch

Post by n2801c »

I have a question regarding door stops & the associated latch. I have a '54 C170B and I have two different door stops. The right wing has a solid ball on its door stop and the left wing has a split end on its door stop. Which is correct for this model 170? Does it make a difference? The issue I am having is - the left door will not hold to the solid ball stop. The right door does hold on the split end, I assume because the split can be widened to help it grab. Is there a difference in the latches on the doors between what should work for the split stop and what is needed for the ball stop?
cessna170bdriver

Re: Door Stops & Stop latch

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The "split end" is the original stop. It requires a specially bent leaf spring inside the hole in the door to work properly. The one with the ball end should have a special small receiver attached to the top of the door. The original leaf springs inside the hole in the top of the door gave up on mine (1955) and I replaced them with Skycatch units with small hourglass shaped piece where yours has a ball. These worked fairly well, and would hold the door open up to about 15 knots of wind on the nose. The brackets under the wing were still a head knocker if you weren't careful, and somewhat unsightly IMHO, so I had Door Stewards installed during the rebuild. Since I paid for them, I'm sure they're going to work just fine. :mrgreen:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2801c

Post by n2801c »

Thanks for the info. I think that leaf spring is what gave on me. I will check out the Skycatch units.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

A problem with the door stop is that over the years there have probably been 3 or 4 product sold to "improve" the stop and there are probably just as many other solutions people have employed. So without a picture it's hard to know exactly what you have.

It does seem that what you are calling the split end one sounds like the original. And as Miles stated this goes in a clip that can be bought from a Cessna parts supplier for a few dollars.

The ball type you describe sounds like either one of the products sold over the years or a one off fix using ordinary cabinet hardware. If we could identify what you have as a product sold for the purpose, perhaps someone might have one to fix your problem. None of those sources that once where sold are sold today so there is no parts source for them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

A word of caution, for those unfamiliar with the door catch attach screws in the wing, they will puncture the fuel tank if the wrong size is selected /installed.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2801c

Post by n2801c »

Thanks Bruce for your input. Yes the door stop with the ball does look like ones that you can find today online for $200 -$300. It is not the problem. I think something inside the receiver unit at the top of the door is where the problem is. What I was trying to find out is if that ball type stop is not the original - is the part number A1663-017-1 for the receiver unit still valid and workable with the ball stop? I have looked at different parts houses for the receiver units and no one has a picture attached or any specs that I can check. Do you know if the original part number is the correct one to use with the ball stop? There are several parts with similar numbers - a1663-017-1, a1663-022-1, etc. I want to make sure that the dash number is correct for the ball stop I have.
Bruce Fenstermacher

The problem is, we don't know exactly what your ball stop is. So we can't say what might work.

Hmm what might solve this? A PICTURE or your ball stop. :D

n2801c

Post by n2801c »

Hey Bruce; Here is a picture of the Ball Door Stop in question. The ball is 6.25mm in Dia. Also attached is a picture of the door mounted receiver unit that replaces Part # A1663-017-1. My local Cessna dealer says that this new part # S2436-1 is the direct replacement. At a cost of $2, I bought one to have. I have not installed it yet do to other obligations, but would like your opinion on the workability of this new part.
Attachments
P1020364.JPG
P1020361.JPG
Bruce Fenstermacher

Your door stop, the part attached to the wing looks original but slightly modified either intentionally or by wear. There should not be what looks like a flat area and a 90° edge on the bottom. it also appears the ball, which is kind of flat, had been twisted 90°. The flat sides of the ball should not be on the side but the top and bottom.

With the ball oriented as it should, it should then engage the door clip correctly but won't as it is. It looks like the new clip would work as well as the old clip did if the ball is oriented correctly.

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

c170b53 wrote:A word of caution, for those unfamiliar with the door catch attach screws in the wing, they will puncture the fuel tank if the wrong size is selected /installed.
A great reminder ... echoed here.
Gary
n2801c

Post by n2801c »

Thanks Bruce; I will check it out. I appreciate the advice.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce this blurry photo looks like mail half of the old Sky Catch "door holder opener". I found the link below to a pdf with pictures.

Following this string is a little confusing, I think this 170 has different style latching system on each door.

http://cessna170.org/forums/download/file.php?id=247
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

John, he said exactly that. One side is different than the other.

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

n2801c wrote:I have a question regarding door stops & the associated latch. I have a '54 C170B and I have two different door stops. The right wing has a solid ball on its door stop and the left wing has a split end on its door stop. Which is correct for this model 170? Does it make a difference? The issue I am having is - the left door will not hold to the solid ball stop. The right door does hold on the split end, I assume because the split can be widened to help it grab. Is there a difference in the latches on the doors between what should work for the split stop and what is needed for the ball stop?
The SkyCatch installation instructions, see link below, page 1 item 9 mention "tighten the adjusting at either end of catch to desired holding tension". Perhaps one, or both, of the adjusting screws and its spring and ball have fallen out.
http://cessna170.org/forums/download/file.php?id=247
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I was reminded of Pete Brown's search for a door catch fitting when I opened the clothes dryer door this last week. The latch seemed to have just the right tension for holding a 170 door open. It would be a challenge to adapt this catch to a 170 though.
Whirlpool dryer door latch
Whirlpool dryer door latch
shopping.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 20395 times
The part number for the female part of the door catch on the C-170A and C-170B is A1663-017-1. Here again is a picture of the part:
A1663 catch
A1663 catch
download-1.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 20395 times
In the 170B IPC there is a dot before the 017, i.e. "-.017". I found that odd. As Ron Murphy (n2801c) alluded to, there are different numbers which Cessna used for that catch. Later 172's used p/n A1663-022-01. These are Tinnerman part numbers. The "017" and "022" refer to the thickness of the metal on the Tinnerman catch. Obviously the thicker the metal the more resistance to engaging and disengaging the catch. The "017" has 8 lbs. of tension and the "022" has 12 lbs. of tension. If you're in windy Kansas get the "022". :lol: If the male portion of this catch--the part attached to the wing--is worn out you might consider welding or brazing on a 6-32 bolt shank or nut and attaching a ball stud like this:
female_bs.png
female_bs.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 20395 times
Take a look at the three pages covering the studs and receptacles on Apex's website for further information. They make receptacles with tensions ranging fro 3.5 lbs. to 30 lbs.
Gary