MT Composite Prop STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JohnNielsen

MT Composite Prop STC

Post by JohnNielsen »

The STC that approves the MT composite hydraulic constant speed propeller has recently been amended to approve installation on all 170/172/15 series aircraft that are powered by ANY version of a Lycoming -360 series engine and any hydraulic governor. Two props are currently available. A 83" 2-blade and a 79" 3-blade version.

See the data sheets on the STC Holder website:
2-blade: http://flight-resource.com/Datasheets/C ... 2Blade.pdf
3-blade: http://flight-resource.com/Datasheets/C ... 3Blade.pdf

I had the luxury of trying both of these and the Hartzell Trailblazer on the same day on my plane to evaluate take-off, climb and cruise performance having previously tested the 83" 2-blade vs the 80" Hartzell Metal prop and the 76" Hartzell Metal prop. My plane is a 1955 C170B with a new O-360, Lycon polished cyl, lots of monitoring equipment and other mods.

I selected the MT 3-blade to keep for my plane. I loved the smoothness and quiet vibration free operation. It has the shortest take-off roll to lift off. The 2-blade MT was faster in cruise by about 5mph and a bit lighter, but I simply loved the way the 3-blade would operate at low RPM's and the sexy look! They are now building them with a stronger Nickel-Cobalt Leading edge that I have seen cut clean trough a steel tow bar with damage limited enough the owner was able to fly that pro home! Back in 2010 they changed the Kevlar wrap process to eliminate any chance of surface cracking in the epoxy/paint top coats and last year began using a new paint formulation that is really holding up well to use in hard rain. The 2-blde price is just under $14K. The 3-blade is about $2K more.

Best regards and Happy Flying!
John Nielsen
http://www.Flight-Resource.com
Attachments
John's Super 170B w/ 180+HP and MT Composite Prop.
John's Super 170B w/ 180+HP and MT Composite Prop.
GAHorn

Re: MT Composite Prop STC

Post by GAHorn »

JohnNielsen wrote:The STC that approves the MT composite hydraulic constant speed propeller has recently been amended to approve installation on all 170/172/15 series aircraft that are powered by ANY version of a Lycoming -360 series engine and any hydraulic governor. ...
ANY...??? or "any approved"....? :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

The STC is a 'propeller change' STC. It is approved replacing ALL existing propellers with the MT as long as you have any version of a Lycoming -360 engine. Literally on the STC it shows approved engines as "Lycoming [ ]-360[ ] Series Engines".
John
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Have anything for a 0-320 in the 80 inch range?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

JohnNielsen wrote:The STC is a 'propeller change' STC. It is approved replacing ALL existing propellers with the MT as long as you have any version of a Lycoming -360 engine. Literally on the STC it shows approved engines as "Lycoming [ ]-360[ ] Series Engines".
John
John, my question is in reference to the propeller governor statement. It is unlikely that the MT propeller is actually approved to use "any" prop governor. (There are far too many propeller governors in the world which will not properly operate the MT prop.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

George, There is a MT Prop factory bulletin referenced in the TCDS of the MT props that is a list of every governor known and as new ones come to market, they add them. The MT prop only requires simple oil pressure to increase pitch. All standard governors do this. I used the MT governor in my project because of the low weight and compact size.
John