BasicMed / Medical reform is here.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

BasicMed / Medical reform is here.

Post by KG »

Last edited by KG on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B
canav8

Re: BasicMed / Medical reform is here!

Post by canav8 »

Effective May 2017. The other part which has not been established. Is take a medical course in the last 24 months. Who offers that?
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... basic_med/

"The FAA anticipates an online medical course that meets the BasicMed requirements will be available by March 2017."
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
170C

Post by 170C »

A pilot has a 3rd class medical via special issuance. That SI expires March 31. If he does not see his AME and waits until May 1, will he be able to operate under the new medical reform without having to take a medical exam and have OKC to (hopefully) reissue his SI?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes Frank, according to the FAQs at the AOPA links listed above.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

A copy of the full 77 page final rule is attached below. As I read the new rule, it looks like you will not need to reissue a SI for many conditions (like sleep apnea) that required a SI for a 3rd class or higher med certificate. However, to operate under the new BasicMed regs, you will (still) need to obtain a SI for any of the following:

"(1) A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
(i) A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
(ii) A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual—
(A) Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
(B) May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis;
(iii) A bipolar disorder; or
(iv) A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in § 67.307(a)(4) of this chapter.

(2) A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
(i) Epilepsy;
(ii) Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
(iii) A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

(3) A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
(i) Myocardial infarction;
(ii) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
(iii) Cardiac valve replacement; or
(iv) Heart replacement."

See Section 68.9 on pp. 73-76 of the attached final rule.
final_rule_faa_2016_9157.pdf
(462.63 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
mit

Post by mit »

This does not appear to be what most of the pilots I know wanted.
Tim
KG

Post by KG »

mit wrote:This does not appear to be what most of the pilots I know wanted.
I agree. The details, or what little I know of them, don't give me the feeling that this is going to be any better than what we had. It could be so simple......
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: BasicMed / Medical reform is here.

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It is all about where the line in the sand is drawn. Clearly the line has moved in most pilots favor. However it is not unlimited hands off as some would like to see.

I think my AME said it best to me and put things in a different perspective. He was not against a "drivers license" airmen medical. He is for stricter drivers license medical screening. In my commonwealth of Pennsylvania, medical screening for a drivers license after you get one at age 16 (or the first time) is nonexistent. I have not been tested at all for 46 years. In reality he agrees the system for allowing a SI was to over burdening and unnecessarily bureaucratic, but requiring only a drivers license is just as bad the other way.

I have a SI for (i) Myocardial infarction and (ii) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment. I will maintain it because I need a Second Class to work. At some point I may not be able to maintain it and I will be one caught in the catch 22. I will not be able to fly while others in worse health are. Yet after reflection I agree with my AME's point.

What I think we should demand is a much more streamlined method to receive a SI. Specially for a third class and most definitely for this new Basicmed. In my case, in 15 years, my condition has not changed one iota. Yet in the 15 years I've undergone 13 Thallium Stress tests. several echocardiograms, and even a cardiac catheterization after what was a false positive from the excessive other testing. I've been out of work several months in that time and every year my stress level increases about this time wondering if I'll be out of work while I wait for the FAA to determine what my doctors already know.

I have a friend who has never had nor could he get a medical because of heart condition he had as a child that has been corrected. 40 years after this childhood event he does not want to incur the expense of the testing required to get an SI, specially since there are no guarantees. He is a Sport Pilot but would welcome the chance to trade his Champ for a 170. He certainly would be no more dangerous to the public. The Basicmed doesn't work for him. There needs to be a way he could submit the 40 years of records and a current health statement from his doctors and get an SI without the over burdensome cost.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Well, the requirement for a SI for those specific conditions is not really the fault of the FAA. It's required by the statute as passed by Congress. Here's what the statute ("FAA Extension, Safety and Security Act of 2016," Public Law 114-190) says/requires:

"(e) SPECIAL ISSUANCE PROCESS.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—An individual who has qualified for the
third-class medical certificate exemption under subsection (a)
and is seeking to serve as a pilot in command of a covered
aircraft shall be required to have completed the process for
obtaining an Authorization for Special Issuance of a Medical
Certificate for each of the following:
(A) A mental health disorder, limited to an established
medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
(i) personality disorder that is severe enough to
have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
(ii) psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual—
(I) has manifested delusions, hallucinations,
grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other
commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
(II) may reasonably be expected to manifest
delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized
behavior, or other commonly accepted
symptoms of psychosis;
(iii) bipolar disorder; or
(iv) substance dependence within the previous 2
years, as defined in section 67.307(a)(4) of title 14,
Code of Federal Regulations.
(B) A neurological disorder, limited to an established
medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
(i) Epilepsy.
(ii) Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory
medical explanation of the cause.
(iii) A transient loss of control of nervous system
functions without satisfactory medical explanation of
the cause.
(C) A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time
special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
(i) Myocardial infraction.
(ii) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment.
(iii) Cardiac valve replacement.
(iv) Heart replacement."

Pretty much exactly what's in the FAA final reg. If you want to check it out yourself (and risk your eyes glazing over), it's Section 2307(e) of the law, which I've attached below (beginning on about the 31st page). So blame your Congressmen and Senators.

On the positive side (I think), both the statute and new reg say this about the cardio SI:

"(2) SPECIAL RULE FOR CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONS.—In
the case of an individual with a cardiovascular condition, the
process for obtaining an Authorization for Special Issuance
of a Medical Certificate shall be satisfied with the successful
completion of an appropriate clinical evaluation without a
mandatory wait period."

This is Section 2307(e)(2) of the statute. It's also Section 68.9(b) of the new reg. Possibly a lower bar for the SI than before?

I'm no expert in any of this. Just pointing out what I see. I hope this helps.
PLAW-114publ190.pdf
(317.19 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

[See edit below.] Just an update on this in case you were not aware. The president's executive order last week putting a hold on all new regulations applies to the BasicMed regulations just issued by the FAA, since they were issued within the time period covered by the executive order. So, the BasicMed regs will not take effect on May 1 unless/until the hold is lifted on them. An executive order like the one issued last week is usual for a new administration because it gives it time to review recently-issued regulations before they take effect. Usually, the ban is lifted within a few weeks on non-controversial regulations. If the ban is not lifted, medical reform will still take effect one year after the date the reforms became law (that would be July 15, 2017, if I remember correctly) because the statute expressly says so. In other words, the reforms will take effect whether or not the regulations are in place. Any in any event, as I mentioned above, the regs just pretty much copy what's in the statute already.

EDIT: Well, I stand corrected. Contrary to what I previously read saying the BasicMed regs were on hold, AVWeb is reporting this morning (2/3/17) that the executive order does not affect the BasicMed regs because of when the regs take effect and because they are required by statute. So, sorry for any confusion if this is true.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Took my BasicMed Examination this morning, completed my Self-Assesment Certificate this afternoon, and, If I'm correct, I'm good to go!
I think this was easier, cheaper & less stressful than my previous visits to my AME (he can fully retire now!). Additionally, I only have to do this every four years. Because of my age, my third class was due every two years.
I know their are complaints, but I am a happy pilot!
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C