Andover-Aeroflex

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Andover-Aeroflex

Post by doug8082a »

Vic,

Just realized (duh!) that you are based at Andover-Aeroflex. Saw a write-up on that airport in AOPA or Sport Aviation, or something a while back. I recall them talking about the tailwheel courses there and have thought about going down for some "advanced training".

Looks like a cool place to fly out of. I think I'll put it on my "sunday destination" list. Any restaurants nearby?
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Doug

I'm not from there but have been there several times and it is indeed a cool place. A few miles to the east is another cool airport, Sussex. Sussex has a little dinner right at the airport enterance. I'm sure Vic will know more.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Aeroflex is a pretty cool place, there are no restaurants on the field, but there are picnic facilitys along with walk and bike paths as it is part of a state park, you can even fish in the lake if you have a NJ fishing lic. just dont fish at the approach end of 21, the temptation is too much for some of the regulars when they come in to land :wink: .
The Airport is owned by the state of NJ and is run and managed by the NJ fire fighting services, the airport is always clean, well marked the runway is in great shape 1950 feet and the grass always cut, and has a turf runway for us tailwheel people.
The flight school is Andover Flight Academy, they teach tailwheel in there L4, Aviat Husky and super cub, oh they a 172 for the wimps :lol: .
They also teach advanced tailwheel such as bush flying and the such, the owner and chief instructor is Damien, a real nice guy and a excellent instructor, he teaches advanced tailwheel and bush, the other fine instructors teach primary.
Aeroflex can be tough to find being it sits between two ridges one east and west. If you have a vor it is about 6.5 miles off the Stillwater 94 deg radial, or just punch in 12n in your gps. Be careful when the winds are heavy from the west, you WILL get windshear on short final to 21 and when landing 3 approach on a angle to stay away from the ridge you'll get bounced around less, all other winds piece of cake. Weekends are busy when nice so you'll see a lot of interesting planes and people, the airport has a nice laid back atmosphere, as for Sussex there is a diner supposedly pretty good and there is one at blairstown airport also, as for Aeroflex there is a old soda machine in the airport office, price 50 cents, brand's vary weekly. If you stop in you will see a white with blue trim Ragwing, the only 170, That's me.

goto http://www.sandhillaviation.com/aeroflexpic.html to see some pics

Chao
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get down that way this summer. The pictures I've seen of the airport are too much to pass up.
Doug