Bought a plane (Stinson 108-1))

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

moffet

Bought a plane (Stinson 108-1))

Post by moffet »

But for better or worse, it's a 1946 Stinson 108-1. The opportunity sort of fell in my lap, and I'm quite pleased with my purchase, it fits all of my needs.

I'll still hang around though.

Thanks for all the advice,

Brian
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What engine? I helped a friend purchase a 150 hp Stinson just before Christmas. He intends to learn to fly in it. It flew fine, but he's short and just has no forward visibility on the ground. Engine runs smooth, but 150 Franklins are tough to get cranks and valves for. Don't expect to taxi easily in strong cross-winds with that huge tail.
The Int'l Stinson Club has a website: http://www.aeromar.com/swsc.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
moffet

Post by moffet »

Franklin 165. Yes, and it takes a lot of rudder :-) And they call it the "small" tail Stinson.

Brian
N1277D

Stinson

Post by N1277D »

:) We also own a Stinson 108 along with the 170A.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Brian, you'll enjoy flying that Stinson. It's a comfortable, stable, pleasant airplane.
Rudy
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Go look at a 108-3 and you'll see why they call the earlier 108's "small-tailed"!
Congratulations Brian-- good luch & have fun!

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

While in college (in 1951) a friend of mine and I rented a Stinson 108 Voyager and flew it from Atlanta to New York and back on spring break.

We navigated by following low frequency beams, listening to A and N morse code to stay on the beam. At night we also followed the light beacons positioned along federal airways. Almost all the airports we landed on are no longer. Harbor Airport, Baltimore, Flushing, NY, Bellanca Field in Delaware. (BTW, sectional and WAC charts cost 25 cents)

It was a fun trip for a couple of young guys. (My friend is now retired with the most C-5A command time in the USAF)
Will always have fond memories of that Stinson.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I have wonderfull memories of NC97232, the 1946 Stinson 108 I owned in the early 90s. It was quite a find...it was an original, unrestored airplane with 290 hours TOTAL TIME, airframe and engine! Hangared at a Nevada ranch strip since new, it had the original dope and cotton fabric, with the big NC numbers on the wing. It even came with the General Electric AS-1B low-frequency radio (no VHF in 1946), not installed. EAA told me it was probably the oldest fabric job still airworthy (50 plus years.) I sold it in 1999 when I bought the 170.

The Stinson is a great airplane. They were owned by Convair, and much big airplane thinking went into the design. Where Piper would just weld up some 4130 tubing for a strut fitting, the Stinson has beautifiul machined or forged parts. And the control surfaces has ball bearing hinges. Fantastic handling, and easier to land than the 170...oleo struts soak up the bounce, rather than boinging you back in the air.

Performance-wise, mine was 5 to 10 MPH or so slower than the 170; big deal!!!

Make sure you join the Stinson Club, if for no other reason to get a handle on Franklin parts, BTW the 165 is better in this respect than my old 150. Of course you know that Univair has the Stinson type certificate and nearly every airframe part; not cheap but availabile.

Finally, a word on the Franklin. It is an excellent engine, but poorly understood by modern A & Ps...things like the 14 MM plugs throw them off! Do your best to find someone who knows the engine. Barring that, learn about it yourself.

Mine burned about 10 GPH, pretty much no matter what I did...

Enjoy your Stinson - It's a classic right up there with the 170. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
flyguy

!!BIGGG TAIL !! GOOD FOR THIS *.

Post by flyguy »

THE -3 TAIL MADE TAXIING IN CROSS WINDS A BEAR. THE GREAT WING LOADING/BALANCE AND LEADING EDGE SLOTS MADE BARREL ROLLS A BARREL OF FUN. AT LEAST THE PLANE YOU BOUGHT HAS THE THIRD WHEEL ON THE RIGHT END :lol: * :twisted:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!