Tail Wheel Spring (s)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Tail Wheel Spring (s)

Post by 170C »

Someone recently mentioned this, but thought I'd ask again. I purchased the main tailwheel spring for my 170C (aka 172 TD). Checked on it today and sure enough, the new spring (from Spruce I think) is 1/4 inch more narrow than the other 3 springs. Others are 2 inches wide & the new one (main spring) is 1 3/4 inches. Question--Is this narrow spring going to work with the others being wider? What are my best options? Guess I could take the new spring to a local spring co and have them duplicate it in a 2 inch width. Don't know the cost. This wouldn't be a pma'd part (although it would likely work just as well, but technically not legal). I did this once on my C-140 & didn't have any problems, but again, not legal.

Suggestions qppreciated!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Obviously your 172TW conversion does not utilize a C-170 tail wheel spring. Perhaps you should check with the STC holder and fdind out what spring is called out. However, any decent spring shop should be able to make one for you, and who is to know. It doesen't use a C-170 spring, so who is to know what is supposed to be used? I'll sure bet that none of the fuzz will know.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, your conversion STC holder (Bolen?) should have the specs and/or part number to replace your spring. You might also visit with Univair, who make springs for many tailwheel aircraft, in various widths. They may know your set up.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)