Can the side windows be opened in flight?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Can the side windows be opened in flight?

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Just got a couple of spring pictures from AR Dave and it got me to thinking about a question I've had for a while. Did a search on the forums but can't find that anyone has asked it so I'll put it out there.

Can the 170 be flown with the side windows open?
Any ill effects or undue stress placed upon the windows or hinges?
Any caution in how to open the window while in flight?
Will they stay open while flying or do they flop like a crappie on the ice in MN when it's 20 below?

Just have not had the courage to do this. Looked at the owners manual but could not find any reference. What's the story?

Kyle
1953 170B
N1932C
Doug Echelberger

Post by Doug Echelberger »

We have had them open for picture taking. The window will stay up against the wing if you remove the catch bolt in the latch. CAUTION, my dad took a real estate guy up once to take some pictures. When they opened the window it departed from the airplane tearing the aft hinge off. Seems the front hinge pin had fallen out. Check the pins at pre-flight if you intend to open them! Oh, I later found the window in a almond orchard undamaged if fluttered down like a leaf. Put on a new hinge on and put it back on the airplane.

Doug
Doug
N2426D
North Calif.
170C

Opening windows in flight

Post by 170C »

I have flown hundreds of hours with my windows open on both my C-140 & my '56 172 prior to putting in newer doors w/more up-to-date window setups and never had a problem. None with the newer ones either. Sure helps in really hot weather too. AS the previous thread mentioned, they will stay up next to the wing if the locking mechanism is unbolted----no fluttering. His suggestion about the hinge pins is a very good suggestion.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I've made many landings with the window open in the pattern in hot weather. I'm not fond of flying with the window open at cruise speeds however. The hinges do get tired and are pretty weak, plus I've seen many planes with the hinges replaced with Ace Hardware store material and pop rivets. Do check them out well.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've flown both with the windows opened on the latches,and with the windows wide open (up against the bottom of the wing) with the latch unhooked. It seemed like I could feel a sort of buffet sometimes. So I've always closed & latched the windows before landing,I'm kind of afraid the air going in the open windows might tend to blank out the tailfeathers when landing. I guess I could simulate this scenario at altitude & see what happens,but I never have.
Also,with the window wide open,I thought that at low landing speed the window itself might flutter,slam closed,or whatever,and I didn't want to deal with that while landing.
Just a couple things to consider.

Eric
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I flew my 170 often with windows open, both open with latch in place for ventilation and open all way with latch removed for photography. No affect on flying either way. Also flew with right door removed for jumpers on several occassions. On my current 180, except for the noise and wind, you don't know the difference.

Harold
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Windows have been known to break the scissors-latch rivets when allowed to slam open, so if you open it in flight, do so gently. I've taken off and landed with them open. I've also lost a pair of Ray Bans on a double-take while flying down the beach, when a sunbather suddenly sat up and forgot she'd unhooked her top. 8O The wind will snatch them right off your face, so hold onto them and watches, shirt pocket contents etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

Did the wind actually blow your Ray Bans off or did you really just sling them off when you twisted your head so hard and fast to look at the girl on the beach? How low were you :roll: ?

Harold
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Eric, I've flown my 170 with the entire right hand door removed and no ill effect on handling or landing. No tail buffet at all. So there should be no problem landing with the windows open.
Rudy
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

She HAD to have been a liberal for George to have taken two looks at her! :lol: Yes, her top was unhooked, but she was reading a large political periodical, that covered her parts, that caused the Ray Bans to fly off, the large print heading was "LIBERALS HAVE THE ANSWERS, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO ASK US - WE WILL TELL YOU EVEN IN PLACES YOU DIDN'T SUSPECT WE WOULD BRING IT UP". :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX