What did you buy for your 170 today?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Moilanen

Re: What did you buy for your 170 today?

Post by Joe Moilanen »

N2625U wrote:I don't think I'd worry if that is close to what it was before the overhaul. The oil pressure in mine (Connie O300C) has always ran a little low (37 PSI/temp about 190 on EI oil/temp) before and after the overhaul. Before overhaul the engine ran for 40 years and 2000 hours I had it overhauled not because of any problems more for comfort. The bottom end was still in very good condition.
Thanks, mine had 2500 hrs since major and the bottom end was in good condition on mine too. This is the second major on this engine. The crank has 4300 hrs on it and it is still standard and within new limits.

Joe
4518C
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

55 PSI is what a new regulator spring will give you. I had the same issue on mine in 2006. The collective wisdom here on the forums says it's normal.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

cessna170bdriver wrote:55 PSI is what a new regulator spring will give you. I had the same issue on mine in 2006. The collective wisdom here on the forums says it's normal.
That's all I need to hear! Thanks! I think I'll go flying for a few hours...

Joe
4518C
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Finally found the Operator's Manual for the O300 & C engines. It says the C125 oil pressure at cruise should be 30-40, C145 30-45 & O300 30-60.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

Just waiting on Chris from DelAir to ship my conversion kit....any day now!
Attachments
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

DaveF wrote:A new MT propeller! It does everything John Nielsen said it would: shorter ground roll, better rate of climb, 15 pounds off the nose, and very smooth at all RPM. With the Lyc O-360, the airplane was already an excellent short-field and high altitude performer, and now it's even better.

I'm glad to be rid of the old Hartzell, with its recurring eddy current inspection AD and annoying RPM restriction. The MT also governs RPM to a lower power setting than the Hartzell, which would revert to fixed-pitch in the pattern.

Here's a prop-centric photo of my airplane:
mtpropellerreduced.jpg
Flew yesterday and am more impressed than ever with the MT. On a 7500 DA day it gave 600-800 fpm climb with two aboard. The Hartzell sort of went limp in warm conditions. An unexpected benefit is that CHTs are lower in climb than they used to be, too.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The one downside I've heard about from the Lycon engine shop is that MT props are hard on starters. I think this is mainly with the larger bore engines. My guess is that because they are so light they don't provide very much fly wheel effect. Also had a friend who had some blade work done on his MT and cost was $10K+ 8O. What does it cost to buy a new one??
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

lowNslow wrote:The one downside I've heard about from the Lycon engine shop is that MT props are hard on starters. I think this is mainly with the larger bore engines. My guess is that because they are so light they don't provide very much fly wheel effect. Also had a friend who had some blade work done on his MT and cost was $10K+ 8O. What does it cost to buy a new one??
Karl the reason why they are hard on starters is because they are lighter and there is less mass then the metal props for rotating. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

No problems with the starter yet. My only complaint is that the RPM isn't as stable as it was with the Hartzell. Every once in a while there seems to be a slight surge or instability. I may end up having to overhaul the governor, but I'll put a few more hours on the prop before I decide if it's worth it.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

DaveF wrote:No problems with the starter yet. My only complaint is that the RPM isn't as stable as it was with the Hartzell. Every once in a while there seems to be a slight surge or instability. I may end up having to overhaul the governor, but I'll put a few more hours on the prop before I decide if it's worth it.
I have heard that as well. Its the nasty secrets that bother me when buying this technology. Also Dave watch out for prop erosion in rain.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I haven't flown in rain for years. But with a nickel leading edge I'm not real worried about it. I'm more concerned about rock nicks on the aft face, but I don't have any of those yet, either.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

For those of you not viewing the TCM IO 360 Install posts here is what the UPS man dropped off at my door step last night. (literally)

On a humorous note Phyllis was concerned that UPS would drop it off at the door and it would get stolen. I told her that the two Dog UPS alarm system was set and that both she and I had a clear view of the road out the front window. (We have UPS deliveries all of the time) In the event the driver came down the Cul-de-sac pulled to the curb Honked his horn and the Two dog alarm system went off. Phyllis and I both went to the back door the Driver took one step off the truck and handed both UPS deliveries right into my hands on the back porch. He has never done that before he usually pulls up out front.

The UPS man delivered on time yesterday afternoon; so the un-boxing and inventory proceeded post haste. Looking at all that is required, additional components will be 2 Aero-Quip fittings to make the additional AN fuel line to install the fuel flow transducer. A 1 amp circuit breaker to add to the Avionics buss. Fire sleeve, and some wire. Adel clamps, All in stock but the AeroQuip fittings and Adel clamps. I have used what I have up making the installation on the Cardinal CGR-30P engine monitor.
Insight Avionics G2.jpg
Insight Avionics G2 Close up.jpg
A trip to the Aircraft hardware store is in the plan.
I think I can have this thing installed in a day and a 1/2. We will see.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

New LED taxi light. I wired it so it flashes with the switch in the taxi position and on steady with the Landing light. My intent is to leave the LED on whenever in flight.
LED Taxi Light Bulb.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
dkmp215

Post by dkmp215 »

This purchase is not overly exciting, but is a direct result of reading through this forum last winter. I discovered a few horror stories which resulted from broken tail wheel springs and so decided to dig a little deeper into mine. It may still have been okay at 235 hours, but with a best guess of 600-900 landings on it, I decided to have it changed out this spring. Without the advice on this forum, it would never have crossed my mind to check into the life of this part. I especially found entertaining Bruce's travelogue of ferry rides, rental cars, hotel, new wardrobe, etc. which resulted in the past from his broken spring! I'm very much hoping to avoid such adventures of my own.
Thanks to all of you who regularly post with your expertise. Slowly -- very slowly -- I'm learning more and more about this fun airplane.
The new tail spring awaiting installation.
The new tail spring awaiting installation.
Dave Patterson
C-GFYQ - 1948 C170 S/N 18694
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dave what a clean looking airplane, the larger spinner just looks right on your plane.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"