Elevator cable routing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kylegreen229

Elevator cable routing

Post by kylegreen229 »

Starting to run my cables for the elevator and rudder. Having a hard time with the exact routing after the cabin bulkhead side by side pulleys...none of the manuals show going through the aft bulkheads but it appears the cable that attaches to the bottom of the bellcrank runs through the two middle holes to run straight and smooth...

I know the IPC displays it incorrectly. The 100 series service manual doesn't seem to show what I'm looking for. The owners manual however seems to be the closest. Anyone have a photo down the tail they can post? Obviously will be consulting my mechanic but want to start running them.

Thanks for any help.

Kyle
1955 Cessna 170B
cessna170bdriver

Re: Elevator cable routing

Post by cessna170bdriver »

'98C's elevator cables ('55 B-model) apparently do not run through any bulkheads aft of the baggage rear wall.
image.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

I appreciate the photo. Having a hard time picking out the cable routing. So neither elevator cable runs through the aft bulkheads at all? Hmm. I wish there was a solid service manual for the 170.
1955 Cessna 170B
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The full resolution photo is clearer but too large to post here. You'll notice that there appears to be five cables, but only three pass through the bulkheads aft of the baggage compartment. They appear to be a straight shot to the elevator bell crank. I don't currently have access to the airplane, but maybe Del Lehmann has or can take a better photo.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The aircraft right cable goes from the pulley aft of baggage area goes directly to the top of the bellcrank. The a/c left cable runs direct to the bottom of the lever but passes through relief holes in two frames aft of the baggage area floor level before it runs free to the bellcrank I remember it made me scratch my head a ways back.
Last edited by c170b53 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

IMG_0034.JPG
Jim Wildharber sent this to me to post. It's from the back of his '55.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

Thank you guys for taking the time with photos and information. It would appear that I have it hooked up as mentioned with the one cable running directly to the top of the bell crank and the other running through each relief hole in the two aft bulkheads to the bottom of the bellcrank. This seems to be the straightest most logical setup for the cables.

I replaced and ran my rudder cables today just past the baggage area so far. It's a good thing too because one of the ones I pulled out you could just bend it and wires were breaking.
1955 Cessna 170B
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I don't have much to add except I became interested in the variation of " Rudder" cable attachments.

I was not expecting so much variation.

At Bardstown convention 2013 I started taking photoss of cables exiting the fuselage in so many different ways. I am still puzzled.

A book could be complied about C170 elevator / rubdder cabling.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gradyb, there are only two ways the cables exit the fuselage. Pre '55 and post '55. However there are many 170s, mine included, that have extra slots in the fuselage where other cables, likely part of a wing leveler system, exited. After the cables exit the fuse, there really shouldn't be much variation in how they attache to the rudder horn unless you count the minor changes in hardware and safety wire technique you might see.

Now if you are talking about a pre '55 and the springs and control chains from the rudder to the tailwheel, I agree, there are many variations and rarely do they mimic exactly the Scott installation instruction, the only method absolutely correct.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Good timing... i'm about to tackle replacing my Elev cable too.
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

My son and I just did elevator and rudder cable routing the other day. The IPC picture gave us grief and we would have been better off without it. The forward bellcrank for the elevator is shown backward. It had us muffed up for awhile.
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

photo (3).JPG
Let me see if I can figure out how to post a picture.......
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

.....and here is another picture....
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

.... and the way it should be....
Attachments
photo (1).JPG