operating limitations decal

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

3958v

operating limitations decal

Post by 3958v »

I needed an operating limitations decal for the restoration of my 48 170. Since I have a very original looking pannel I decided to order one from Cessna. First shock price about $35. Since most every thing else was original I bit the bullet and ordered it. Well it came yesterday and it was yellow printing. Then I tried to put it on today. It was an old style that you dip in water and slide off. Well when I dipped in water it disentigrated. Sure hope the test flight goes better. Bill
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I too need a new operating limitations decal for my 53B. I've had some really neat graphics done by a local decal shop. Stuff like business hours and no smoking signs for business doors. My plans are to have them cut me one. They go on very easy and look great.

What I don't know are things like:
Dimenstions of the decal?
What font size?
Any outline or border around the wording?
How is the wording arranged - one column for normal and another for utility?

Anyone out there who can take a digital picture of their B model limitations decal? Would greatly appreciate it.

Anyone with a ragwing who could take a picture for Bill?

Bill, if I can get a picture I'll have one made and I can let you know the price of mine and how it went.

Kyle
1932C
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

We just had some posts about this less than a month ago. Regarding required wording,location,etc. Reading these new posts,I'm assuming that you guys want to exactly reproduce the factory placard for originality's sake?

Eric
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

About two years ago, I had the operating limitations placard reproduced from an original I had by Moody Aerographics in Florida. Now, I have a 1952 B model so it may differ (check the TCDS) but I was told they keep the work they do on such projects, so it might be worth a call. I'll post the number if anyone is interested. Russ Farris P.S. I forget the price, but it should be less since the work has been done.
All glory is fleeting...
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Well, I just checked for myself and the 1948 170 does differ from the A and B models on the placard - the 1948 has a note about both front seats must be occupied if both rear seats are, also the A and B mention having the fuel selector on both for T.O. and landing. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I've got all the wording from the TCDS. What I don't know is what the thing looks like. And for originality sake, I'd like to reproduce it as closely as possible.

Russ, if you find their number, that would be great.

My request is for someone to take a picture of their B model operating placard and either place it on this site or send me a copy.

Thanks.

Kyle
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

I have a restored '48 170 and had new decals made for the panel. A local printer sreened them on very thin clear adhesive. Originals were a yellow tint as you discovered from Cessna. I elected to place white because the yellow was very difficult to see on against the panel base color.
The font, layout and size is exact. Choose from the yellow tint or white. Printer will redo project for $25. This gets you 4 sets of decals - 2 each in yellow and white. I can e-mail pics of my panel if you e-mail me with a request. john@nielsenford.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Sounds like enough for four airplanes. Four ragwing owners oughta get together & divvy up the cost. I'd get involved except I don't need the fancy placard--I just wrote the op limitations on the glovebox door with a sharpie marker. Works for me! And the price is right!

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have the set of original decals, and I also have a clear-sheet for printer reproductions if anyone needs them for a '53. I'll be happy to scan and email either to you. The placard in question is 4 5/8" wide by 1 3/4" tall, yellow. It reads, within a rectangle, (formatting is different than that displayed by this software.):
THIS AIRPLANE MUST BE OPERATED AS A NORMAL OR UTILITY CATEGORY AIRPLANE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE FLIGHT MANUAL

-NORMAL-

NO ACROBATIC MANEUVERS INCLUDING SPINS APPROVED

-UTILITY-

NO ACROBATIC MANEUVERS APPROVED EXCEPT THOSE LISTED IN THE FLIGHT MANUAL. BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT AND REAR SEAT MUST NOT BE OCCUPIED.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)