Baggage door w/aux tank?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jmurtap

Baggage door w/aux tank?

Post by jmurtap »

Is the baggage door mod possible with a javelin aux tank installed?
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

edbooth

Re: Baggage door w/aux tank?

Post by edbooth »

Short answer, yes. The tank does not interfere with where the door goes. The tank would have to come out to install the door.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Thanks Ed,I'm along ways from any project like that, but I might start collecting parts if I come across a good door. In the short time I've been playing with mine I can see how convenient and valuable a baggage door would be.
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

I've seen a few airplanes with a baggage door and an aux tank. The tank occupies about 4" or 5" from the bottom of the floor -- so when you open the baggage door, you get a nice view of the Javelin (or similar).

I like the idea of being able to cart around 18 more gallons, but the up-down-up-down profile of an otherwise mostly flat floor (to include extended baggage) after Javelin installation doesn't seem worth it.

The best solution is 175 wings. If I really REALLY needed more range, I'd consider Flint tanks.

-Scott
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

jmurtap wrote:Thanks Ed,I'm along ways from any project like that, but I might start collecting parts if I come across a good door. In the short time I've been playing with mine I can see how convenient and valuable a baggage door would be.
I installed mine about 15 years after getting the plane....wish I had done it at the time I bought it.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver