IFR study guide?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary

IFR study guide?

Post by Gary »

I have my instrument rating but am not current. I would be interested to see what the members of the forum use for a study guide. I have seen the one by ASA "Instrument Refresher" and downloaded the demo, but it will not work on my computer. King air also has the full IFR coarse but is pricey. Does anyone have a favorite they use? Thanks, GARY
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gary if you just want to study questions and answers, Sporty's has simulated FAA tests free online. You can take a test then study the answers. I recently used the IFR test to study for my CFII.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Romeo Tango

Current (and safe)

Post by Romeo Tango »

Gary, I use the ASA software to keep up on the questions & answers. I am a CFI, so it's important to know what it's like for my students, but I did it before becoming an instructor.

I have a personal currency plan that starts late in the calendar year with buying the new FAR/AIM and reading through that over the holidays. Throughout the year I re-read 4 or 5 aviation publications so I have the information fresh at hand. The new/updated FAA training books are very good (if you are used to the old AC versions of the books, check out the new full-color training manuals, they are much better). I also recommend re-reading AC-06A "Aviation Weather" and AC 00-45E "Aviation Weather Services" every few years. Those are the most important for IFR flying as weather is the biggest variable and the thing we lose knowledge on most rapidly.

Lastly, file IFR Plans even for your VFR flights. It keeps you in practice, and keeps up much of the discipline for IFR flying. I find that the biggest challenge getting folks re-current is not flying approaches, but getting them comfortable in the high data-rate environment of ATC-controlled flying.

All this comes out to less than $100 investment and is reusable well into the future.

Richard
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I used the Jep course when getting my instrument rating and use it for review. I do like ASA materials. As mentioned, it's good to get a current FAR/AIM and review that.

Best couple of things I've found for staying fresh on IFR is:
1) File IFR as often as possible.

2) Get a buddy. Go fly with each other. Rotate safety pilot duties. This not only cuts your cost but you'll learn quite a bit. And you'll probably challenge yourself to stay sharper since you don't want to be embarassed by your buddies!

3) Use Microsoft flight simulator. It does a pretty good job of walking you through IFR flights and provides the same mental challenge that you get in a real IFR flight. And inexpensive too!

Kyle
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thank you for the input. I was an Air Force pilot a lot of years ago (like over 25) and things have changed. Romeo Tango, The FAR/AIM will be my starting point. I have MS flight Simulator and will look into ASA's refresher coarse. N914A, I didn't know about Sporty's but will check out the site after I post this message. Thank you. We flew our 170 from VA to upstate (Like in Canada almost) for Thanksgiving and it was a handicap not to be able to file IFR. Kyle, I have an airline pilot friend who I have asked to fly with me as safety pilot. Thank you all for the input. We are flying to FL mid March and I hope to file IFR by then. Just a month to go. GARY N1909C
Ben Barwick

IFR Refresher

Post by Ben Barwick »

This is a little late, but you might also like the publication IFR Refresher. I think it is a really great publication. Every issue has a real-life report based on an accident, with discussion about what went wrong. Tough love, but I think very important for those of us that practice the art of IFR.

Ben Barwick