8.50x6 tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: 8.50x6 tires

Post by DaveF »

Aryana wrote:Those are cool! TSO isnt required for our planes and isn't really a basis for approval anyways, right?

I thought what made these tires special was that they were taller than regular 8.50x6 tires available, but the only unique thing they have going is that they are smooth tundra tires. I guess if I was able to stay off asphalt, the smooth tread of these tires would make sense...but you can already get this size in a regular treaded Goodyear tire.

http://www.goodyearaviation.com/resourc ... atires.pdf
It's true that there are already 8.50s available, but smooth is desirable because they don't kick rocks up into the horiz stab as much as ribbed tires. That's good for me because my off-pavement operations have plenty of rocks. Also, these are 4-ply, so they're lighter and less stiff than the 6-ply.

TSO isn't required for us, but since Desser said they were planning a TSO'd version I figured I'd wait. My mechanic will be happier with "FAA Approved", as well.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I am just about to get my Goodyears recapped by Wilkersons and they give me the option of grooves or none. Any thoughts as to why I should choose one or the other? I am on pavement at least 75% of the time.

And as an aside I am running a pair of Airtracs for the meantime and they wear much faster than the Goodyears did. I have 180 gear and often fly fairly light and they all seem to wear on the outside much faster, I spin them every 100 hrs or so.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Grooves perform two services: They improve the tire's performance and braking action on hard surfaces when wet by reducing hydroplaning... and they assist when assessing wear. If operating primarily on paved surfaces you probably want the tires grooved.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
shortfielder

Post by shortfielder »

I used to run Goodyear 4 grooved 8.50 recaps. I would v the groove. Figured if it was wider than it was deep there was less tendancy to pickup stones and wing em at my aluminum.
Happy to loan out the tool if anyone is interested.
Gary
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete