Never Flown in a C-170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Mark Scott

Never Flown in a C-170

Post by Mark Scott »

Hello all,

I used to own an Aeronca 7AC and had great fun with it. I'm pretty sure a C-170 is a good next step. I have lots of time in 172's but have never flown in a C-170. If anyone in my area could take me for a short flight I would really appreciate it. I would be happy to pick up the tab for the gas.

Thanks,
Mark Scott
Bethany, CT 06524
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hi Mark,

I'm based in Mansfield, MA (1B9) which is just over the RI line from Providence. I'm probably not much more than an hour from you. I'd be happy to give you a ride. Let me know if you'd like to work something out. Don't worry about the gas.
Doug
LouLaSalle

Ride

Post by LouLaSalle »

Hi Mark,

I'm based at N85 in New Jersey. Our plane( my wife flys it as well) is a 1952 170B. At the moment, it is on Long Island being painted. It was opriginal in aluminum and red, it is absolutely a full time job polishing it. Sop, it will be Audi silver and red.

I bought ours, while I was still a Nose-dragger pilot and got my check out in a J3 Cub and our B. That took about 15 hours. The 170 is an easy flying plane. In level flight it is nose down compared to a 172. Combine that with the lower panel and you get a really great view. It will spoil you for other planes.

We have had the engine rebuilt by Mattituck, and it runs great. The draw back here is that it is twice the cost of a 4 cylinder. The plus is that it is a smooth as silk!

As with any taildragger,crosswinds are tricky until your confidence level grows, but I am sure you will enjoy the 170. I still remember seeing my first one, in Danbury. It was years ago, but the looks of the plane captivated me and I didn't forget it when it came time to shop for a plane.

I hadn't been considering a 170, but some one had placed a flyer on the BB of our FBO. We drove up to Easton, Pa. to have a look at made the decision to buy immediately.

We try to keep it as original as possible, except for modern avionics.

Good Luck[/img]
Mark Scott

Post by Mark Scott »

Thanks for the replies. I've flown in three 170's to date and things have moved surprisingly fast. I am closing a deal on a very nice 170A. We did the inspection today and it looks pretty good. The owner has been extremely accomodating which has made things go smoothly. So I will now be a regular on the forum.

Mark
Mark Scott
Bethany, CT 06524
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Congratulations Mark, and welcome to the group!
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
LouLaSalle

Good Luck

Post by LouLaSalle »

Mark,

Good Luck to you! 170's are fun to fly, and attract a lot of attention on the ground. Where will you be based? I fly into Goodspeed and Madisin/Griswold on occasion. Email me at loulasalle@pfizer.com sometime
and we can get together and compare notes

Lou La Salle
N2485D
1952 170 B

mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Hope to see you in the skies of the north east
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Congratulations! Glad all is going well for you. Keep us posted.
Doug