How does everyone tie the tail down on their 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

buchanan

Gust Locks

Post by buchanan »

Here is my solution for gust locks. I cut a piece of flexible, I believe it was poly tubing about 3/4 inch in diameter just the right length to fit over the control yoke shaft when the elevator is in neutral. I then split the tubing lenghtwise. I clamp it to the control yoke shaft with a thumb screw hose clamp. I then use a length of about 4 ft poly "water ski" rope to tie the two yokes together then go down to the rudder pedals to put some tension on the control yoke shaft, this holds the yokes forward against the previously installed poly tubing. I haven't done this; but the rope could be used to put some tension on the rudder pedals so that they would be somewhat restrained. I live in MT where hangars are cheap and the wind blows like hell so my 170-B usually sits in a hangar and my gust locks are for those "out of town" trips.

Buck Buchanan, Valier, MT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Applying Upward tension on the rudder pedals will not restrain or protect the rudder. The rudder pedals are not interconnected and are only held forward with coiled springs.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I took a truck inner tube and made a bra with a hole to fit over the light and then bungied to the outer section of the horizontal. Works great to relieve the tensions off the cables.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
JDH

Post by JDH »

Need another source for the Eyebolt part # 0642105.
I called Air Repair (the L-19 folks) on the 16th of Dec. They thought they had stock and price is now $36 US. I called back yesterday and Ooops! Out of stock and don't know when they will have them. They will be manufacturing their own because they think that their source of surplus items ran dry.
So, if any of you know of where I can get me one, I'd appreciate a note back.
Thanks, JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

JTA, Inc. inventory lists PN 0642105, eyebolt, 318 in stock, last priced at $21. http://www.jtaco.com/ ph# 970-221-4230 Talk to Linda.
Unfortunately, they have a minimum order policy of $60 per order and $20 per line item. It's best if ordering small orders to gather together.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dacker

Post by dacker »

JD, if you want to place an order count me in. Maybe we can find someone else to make the minimum order. PM me.
David
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I'll take one if it is an approved part with documentation.

There was a fellow on ebay that was selling some he made up and that scared me off. He'd had them replated and didn't have a clue about that when I asked what shop he used and if it was certified to do the plating.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I'll also like to piggyback along here. I'd like to get the eyebolt as well as the tow lugs for the main gear. Who is going to coordinate the order? Send me an e-mail....wa4jr@hotmail.com or PM me. Thanks!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

As Parts/Mx coordinator, I'll be happy to assemble an order.
I will create an "OPEN" order period starting today, Feb 1, closing Feb 15. Any orders rec'd by me during that period will be processed as one order, the freight charge will be relegated according to each individual's order, and the item priority mailed to the individual. Only TIC170A members will be allowed to participate. (If you wish to join TIC170A immediately to participate in this offer, contact headquarters@cessna170.org or phone 417-532-4847 to join. Be certain to ask Velvet Fackelday, TIC170A secy to email me ASAP confirming your new membership. YOU still must contact me to place your order. The money you save on shipping and the minumum order charges will more than pay for your TIC170A membership. Besides, ...you'll be enabled to place free advertisements on this forum immediately as well.) :D
All: Contact me thru this forum via PM, or via my email address listed on the front (cover) page of The Flypaper and in the Membership Directory to place your order for eyebolt, towing adaptors, or both. Be specific as to what you want. (For those too intoxi.... errr....I mean too "celebratory"... to walk to the book-case to look up my email address, it's my username "gahorn" plus my tail number without the N, no spaces @hotmail.com . I will not accept any orders thru this topic thread. You must either email me (preferred) or PM me for your order to be confirmed valid. Payment will be via personal check or money order and will be billed along with the freight when the item is received. Payment must be rec'd prior to mailing the item to you. You should plan on having the item approximately end of Feb.

The eyebolt is listed at $21 each. The tow adaptors .... I'll find the current price and update, but last I heard was $18 each.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

George

Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated. Perhaps you should put your post into a new thread with an appropriate title so people don't miss out?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180